Fire crews battle brush fires around San Diego County

first_imgSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Firefighters have halted the spread of that roughly 1 1/2-acre brush fire just north of state Route 905 and east of Interstate 805 in Otay Mesa, in the area of Cesar Solis Community Park, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.Firefighters are working to extinguish a brush fire that has spread over about 10 open acres in the area of state Route 76 and Pauma Valley Drive in Pauma Valley, according to Cal Fire. There are no immediate reports of structural threats.Firefighters are also working to extinguish a brush fire in the area of South 47th Street and Solola Avenue in Lincoln Park, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. No structural threats have been reported. Posted: June 10, 2019 Updated: 2:19 PM June 10, 2019 Fire crews battle brush fires around San Diego Countycenter_img Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, last_img read more

Facebook removes 687 pages linked to Congress ahead of Lok Sabha elections

first_imgFacebook said its investigation found that individuals used fake accounts and joined various groups to disseminate their content and increase engagement.ReutersFacebook Inc said on Monday it was removing 687 pages and accounts linked to India’s main opposition Congress party, just days before voting begins in a general election, because of “coordinated inauthentic behaviour” on the social media platform.The announcement marks a rare action from Facebook against a prominent political party in a country where it has more than 300 million users, the highest in the world.Facebook said its investigation found that individuals used fake accounts and joined various groups to disseminate their content and increase engagement. Their posts included local news and criticism of political opponents such as Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Facebook said.”While the people behind this activity attempted to conceal their identities, our review found that it was connected to individuals associated with an INC (Indian National Congress) IT Cell,” Nathaniel Gleicher, Head of Cybersecurity Policy at Facebook, said in a statement.Gleicher added that Facebook was removing accounts based on their behaviour, not the content they posted.India’s staggered election, scheduled to begin on April 11, will end on May 19.Two of the samples shared by Facebook were of posts that criticized Modi’s initiatives and called for supporting the Congress party and its president, Rahul Gandhi.The social media giant also said it was removing 103 pages, groups and accounts, also for inauthentic behaviour, as part of a network which originated in Pakistan and was linked to employees of the Inter-Service Public Relations department of the Pakistani military.Facebook has faced increasing pressure from authorities around the world, including the Indian government, to ensure its platform is not abused for political gains or to spread misinformation, especially ahead of elections.Facebook has toughened up its rules governing political advertisements in India and many other countries to increase transparency.Last week, Facebook removed a social media network in the Philippines and took the unusual step of linking it to a businessman who said he had managed the president’s online election campaign in 2016. It has taken similar actions recently against accounts in Russia and Iran.Separately, Facebook said it had also removed another 227 pages and 94 accounts in India for violating its policies against spam and misrepresentation.last_img read more

Dhaka very concerned over Chinas Brahmaputra dams Ali tells Indian media

first_imgIndia’s The Times of India has reported that Bangladesh said it is ‘very concerned’ about possible diversion of water of the Brahmaputra river by China.The Times published the report on Thursday quoting the Bangladesh high commissioner to India, Syed Muazzem Ali.Reportedly expressing Bangladesh’s readiness to participate in a joint water basin management, the diplomat was quoted to have said the prime ministers of the two countries had extensive discussions on the issue.”On the Brahmaputra basin, we are very concerned about diversion of water and Bangladesh is prepared to join a joint basin management concept where we will discuss the points of water as it flows from the point of origin to the point of exit in the sea,” the newspaper quoted Muazzem Ali as saying.”And naturally, we will be very happy to fully cooperate with all regional joint agencies,” he reportedly told reporters at an interaction organised at the Indian Women Press Corps in New Delhi.He is said to have maintained that Bangladesh believes in joint river basin management both in the Ganges and the Brahmaputra.Originating in Tibet and flowing across China and India, the Brahmaputra enters Bangladesh and meets the Ganges (Padma) before draining into the Bay of Bengal.The Times reported that the Bangladesh high commissioner also sought to assuage India’s concern amid reports of Bangladesh’s growing proximity with China.Another newspaper, Tribune India, used an analogy define Dhaka’s relations with New Delhi and Beijing and quoted Muazzem Ali as saying, “If his brother does not have money to offer to him to purchase a car, he would go seek a loan from the bank. But the bank manager does not become a brother.””We have trade and economic relations with China but we do not want to get into a debt trap. China has offered us line of credit. But it is not for free,” he was quoted to have said.He reportedly added that unlike in Sri Lanka or Myanmar, Bangladesh did not hand over the deep sea port in Chittagong to Beijing rather it is being built as a consortium by India, China and European Union.last_img read more

Suicide attack kills 27 Iran elite Revolutionary Guards

first_imgMap or Iran locating the city of Zahedan. Photo: AFPA suicide bomber killed 27 members of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards on Wednesday, state media said, in a southeastern region where security forces are facing a rise in attacks by militants from the country’s Sunni Muslim minority.The Sunni group Jaish al Adl (Army of Justice), which says it seeks greater rights and better living conditions for the ethnic minority Baluchis, claimed responsibility for the attack, the semi-official Fars news agency reported.The heavy losses among Iran’s premier military force prompted a senior Revolutionary Guards commander to issue a warning to the country’s foes.“Our response in defence of the Islamic Revolution will not be limited to our borders,” Ali Fadavi was quoted as saying by Fars.“The enemies will receive a very firm response from the Revolutionary Guards like before.” He did not specify which enemies or what actions Tehran would take.In the past Iran has accused its regional rival, Sunni Arab Saudi Arabia, of supporting Sunni separatist groups who have attacked its security forces. Riyadh has denied the charges.Iran’s Shi’ite Muslim authorities say militant groups operate from safe havens in Pakistan and have repeatedly called on the neighbouring country to crack down on them.A suicide bomber driving a vehicle laden with explosives attacked a bus transporting members of the Guards, the force said in a statement. Thirteen people were wounded.A video posted by Fars showed blood and debris at the site of the attack on a road in a volatile area near the Pakistan border where militants and armed drug smugglers operate.The bus was turned into a twisted pile of metal, a photo published on Fars showed. Reuters could not independently verify the image.While Sunni militant groups are not regarded as a major threat, the attack dealt a fresh blow to Iran’s security establishment, which has often said it can repel any threat no matter how big, even from the United States and its ally Israel.Military Might And Business InterestsThe assault in impoverished Sistan-Baluchistan province – among the worst ever on the Guards – illustrated that Iran’s elite force, which answers directly to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, can be vulnerable to guerrilla-style operations.The Guards’ estimated 125,000-strong military, with army, navy and air units, has acted as the sword and shield of Shi’ite clerical rule in Iran since its 1979 Islamic Revolution.The force also operates outside of Iran’s borders in countries such as Iraq and Syria where it works with proxies to promote Tehran’s interest. It runs a business empire in Iran worth billions of dollars.“The self-sacrificing military and intelligence children of the people of Iran will take revenge for the blood of the martyrs of this incident,” Fars quoted Foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi as saying.Iran’s Guards fired missiles at Islamic State militants in Syria in 2017 and 2018 after the group claimed responsibility for two attacks in Tehran and Ahvaz. In 2018, the Guards launched missiles at an Iranian Kurdish armed opposition group in northern Iraq.Wednesday’s violence comes during a month in which Iran has been commemorating the 1979 Islamic Revolution which swept the US-backed Shah from power. Tehran showed off ballistic missiles in defiance of US efforts to curb its military power.Iranian foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif appeared to blame the United States for the attack, citing a US-sponsored conference in Warsaw aimed at rallying support to further isolate Iran.On Twitter he asked: “Is it no coincidence that Iran is hit by terror on the very day that #WarsawCircus begins?”Iran had enjoyed relative stability compared to Arab neighbours who have grappled with political and economic upheaval touched off by popular uprisings in 2011.But economic hardships fuelled by US sanctions have triggered waves of protests that sometimes call for Iran’s clerical leaders to step down.Twelve members of the Guards were among 25 people killed last autumn by gunmen on a military parade in the city of Ahvaz in the southwest. The Sunni Islamic State and an Arab separatist group both claimed responsibility.Jaish al-Adl emerged as the main armed opposition movement in the southeast after members of another Sunni group, Jundullah, joined it after their leader was captured on a plane in 2010. He was tried and executed.last_img read more

Report Fewer International Students Enrolled In Texas Schools

first_img Share X 00:00 /00:50 In Houston, over 120 campuses serve international students. One of those institutions is Houston Baptist University, which welcomes the majority of its international students from Nigeria and China. Shannon Bedo, Director of International Student Services at the university, said although her school saw more international students last fall, she expects a drop later this year.“My guess is that we will probably start seeing the effect of the decline starting this fall,” Bedo said. She also sits on the board of Study Texas, a collaborative that recruits international students to study in the state. Bedo said many of her students fear instability around immigration and come to her with rumors. “If they go home to visit their families, they are afraid their visa wouldn’t be renewed so they can come back and finish their studies,” Bedo said. Despite some uncertainty around immigration, Bedo said Houston is an attractive city for immigrants for numerous reasons including affordability, diversity, job opportunities and the medical center.  center_img To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Listen iStockInternational student enrollment in Texas schools dipped 2.2 percent to 86,076, according to a new report by Immigration and Customs Enforcement. 1,929 fewer students are enrolled in Texas schools as of March 2018, compared to the same month a year ago. The data contrasts with a slight increase in the number of Texas institutions that are certified to accept international students, now at 509 up from 500 in March 2017. The study accounted for international students pursuing K-12, university and vocational education. last_img read more