Wikwemikong Chief Duke Peltier, Wasauksing Chief Warren Tabobondung, Shawanaga Chief Wayne Pamajewon, Batchewana Chief Dean Sayersn on June 4, 2018, at the start of final arguments in the Robinson Huron Treaty Annuities court case. (APTN file.)APTN NewsAn Ontario First Nation is reeling after learning the Ford government is appealing the Robinson Huron annuities claim – including costs.The federal government has said it will not appeal the December 2018 decision.“The provincial government has a fiduciary obligation to honour our treaties and Ontario’s decision to appeal the ruling is unacceptable,” Batchewana Chief Dean Sayers said in a release.“For decades, our people have received the vastly inadequate annual amount that is nowhere near the value of our shared resources of this land.”An Ontario Superior Court judge sided with 21 First Nations late last year when she said annual $4 treaty payments should be raised.Justice Patricia Hennessy found the provincial and federal governments had been short-changing First Nations in Ontario for more than a century.But she did not set a new amount under the Robinson-Huron Treaty, which was signed in 1850.Now comes word Ontario has filed notice seeking leave to appeal the decision.Although Sayers believes the judge’s decision will hold and Ontario will come to the table and negotiate instead of litigate.“Batchewana is disappointed in the province’s decision, however, we are confident that Ontario and Canada will follow through on their inherited obligation through a mediated process,” he said in the release.The treaty payments are a share of natural resource revenues within the territory.There are about 30,000 beneficiaries in the 21 communities.
According to Sky Sports, Chelsea are positive of tying down midfielder N’Golo Kante to a new long-term deal.Kante was pivotal to France winning the FIFA World Cup in Russia, and have been linked to Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona.The former Leicester City midfielder has over two-and-a-half years left on his current Chelsea contract, and the hierarchy at the West London club would feel more comfortable having him sign on a long-term deal.N’golo Kante and Eden Hazard’s contract negotiations have been troublesome for Chelsea, and they can’t afford to lose either or both of them.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.Sky Sports reports that Chelsea are in talks over a new contract and are hellbent on keeping Kante.The midfielder has a new attacking midfield role this season under Maurizio Sarri and has started all Premier League matches.He has scored four goals in 105 appearances for Chelsea since signing from Leicester City in July 2016.
00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSunday, May 13th, the U.S. Airmail Service celebrated its 100 year anniversary.Dave Scott was live at Gillespie Field and the Allen Airways Flying Museum to get the details.To honor the occasion and raise awareness, three vintage biplanes will retrace the pioneering West Coast airmail route, Contract Air Mail 8 (CAM), from San Diego to Seattle, May 13-18, 2018. Vintage planes to recreate historic flight Posted: May 13, 2018 Dave Scott, Dave Scott May 13, 2018 Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
When publishers latch onto something, they tend to take all the way. With content, it’s publish anywhere, anytime. And on the digital advertising front, where the two big trends of native and programmatic have emerged, publishers of course want to do both.In most cases, however, publishers are building two ends of the spectrum. You want programmatic ad buying opportunities? No problem, we have that over here. Native? Sure, talk to this group here. But Federated Media Publishing, a network of independent sites across several verticals, is rolling out a new service that takes the data-based and automated characteristics of programmatic and combines them with the custom, content marketing aspects of native. Earlier in August Federated Media Publishing CEO John Battelle blogged about the new service, tentatively called Content Reachtargeting. “But storytelling alone isn’t enough to get the job done,” says Battelle, referring to the brand-side “storytelling” strategies. “As an industry we need a platform that allows us to distribute those stories to just the right people, at just the right time, in just the right context.”Battelle wants to add the direct marketing capabilities of programmatic to native, and noted Facebook and Twitter were having some success with this concept, but only within their “walled gardens,” as he called them. “What about the rest of the Internet?” he asked.Federated Media’s acquisition of Lijit back in October 2011 kicked off the development potential of a native/programmatic service offering. The service is still in development, Battelle tells FOLIO:, but Advertising Week will be where it’s debuted. “I could be one of 100 people saying the same thing in September,” he says.”Our thesis in 2011 was that the two [programmatic and native] will connect and the market will demand it,” he continues. “They’ll want to do content marketing, but they’ll want to do it at scale.”In execution, says Battelle, the service would initially be a twist on retargeting and use standard IAB units. A visitor lands on a page and gets pixeled. On that page is a native-programmatic ad unit. As the reader travels to other publisher sites, that ad unit follows, but a different version is served. Battelle says they’ve been experimenting with the concept within the Federated Media network of sites and readers have been clicking on the ads. “We have noticed a significant increase in rates,” he says.
The compromise version of the fiscal 2016 budget resolution may jettison a procedural hurdle that could block the Senate from allocating $38 billion in extra funding stashed in DOD’s overseas contingency operations account (OCO).The funds were added to the war account in both chambers’ budget blueprints as a way of eluding the $523 billion Budget Control Act cap on national security spending. The Senate’s version, though, includes a point of order on spending from the OCO that exceeds $58 billion, the original amount requested by the Obama administration.If the point of order remains in the compromise budget, Senate Democrats — as well as fiscal conservatives — could block appropriations from the OCO that exceed $58 billion unless defense hawks can produce 60 votes to override the objection. Democrats could be expected to object to the use of the extra funding for the Pentagon because of the lack of a deal permitting domestic spending to exceed the budget caps. Fiscal conservatives could object due to the lack of an offset to the extra defense spending.The dispute between defense hawks and fiscal conservatives over FY 2016 defense spending will continue to play over the rest of the year, but there is a good chance fiscal hawks will allow the point of order to be stripped from the budget resolution to maintain Republican unity on the issue, reports CQ Roll Call.John McCain (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said he believes the conference committee will remove the point of order from the final budget resolution.“I hope and believe that they will not have that requirement in the conference,” McCain said. “And no, I could not vote for it with a budget point of order,” he said of the conference agreement. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Bipartisan negotiations over a year-end omnibus are stalled over whether to include about 40 contentious policy riders, forcing the House GOP to consider moving a short-term continuing resolution (CR) to provide the two parties a few more days beyond the Friday deadline to strike a deal.The stopgap would last “a handful of days” and allow the government to remain open past Dec. 11 when the current CR runs out, House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) told reporters Tuesday following a meeting of the Republican conference.The president would sign a CR that extends funding by an “extra day or two” while lawmakers “go through the legislative mechanics” of crafting and clearing a fiscal 2016 spending measure, said White House press secretary Josh Earnest, reported CQ Roll Call.At the same time, Ryan vowed to finish work on the package before lawmakers head home for the holidays. “We don’t expect to do this for a long term. We need to get it right. I don’t want us to go home until we get this done,” Ryan said.Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), ranking member on the Senate Appropriations Committee, said “40 or 42 poison pill riders” are holding up the negotiations, including provisions targeting Middle Eastern refugees, abortion, campaign finance restrictions, environmental and financial regulations, and a National Labor Relations Board ruling. The two sides also are locked in a battle over a package of permanent tax extenders which may be attached to the spending package.“We were making very good progress on resolving the money issues,” Mikulski told reporters Tuesday afternoon. “We have about 40 or 42 poison pill riders, but some are really big — Hobby Lobby, campaign finance reform — things that should have never even been on the appropriations. So we’re kind of stuck at the riders stage,” she said.Mikulski said negotiations mainly involved congressional leadership and the White House.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj at a UN meeting. India’s diplomacy led to 14 of the 15 UN Security Council members supporting the blacklisting of Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar.twitter/@MEAIndiaChina’s technical veto of an India-inspired United Nations Security Council (UNSC) move to blacklist Jaish-e-Mohammed and its leader Masood Azhar once again exposed its extreme vulnerability to Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence’s (ISI) blackmail, analysts say. The fact that the terrorist leader has claimed responsibility for the February 14 Pulwama attack in Jammu and Kashmir killing 43 paramilitary personnel and pushing nuclear-armed India and Pakistan to the brink of war after Indian Air Force’s Balakot strike did not deter Beijing from blocking the motion. The move to proscribe JeM was initiated by the US, UK and France, the three permanent UNSC members, but China placed a technical hold on the resolution that is initially valid for three months but may be extended further.G Parthasarathy, international affairs analyst and India’s former ambassador in Islamabad, has said the compulsions of China in backing Pakistan are understandable. He said on broadcast media that the recent UN resolution should still be considered a big success for India as 14 of the 15 members including four permanent members except China stood with India.China’s eagerness to shield Masood Azhar, a strategic asset the ISI has nurtured over many years, arises from its dilemma of having painted itself into a corner with no way out without damaging its own work of a long time, defence analysts say. China cannot ignore the fact that its personnel deployed in thousands across different projects in Pakistan are soft targets for any ISI-inspired terror attack. There have been instances of terror elements targeting Chinese engineers working in the hundreds of strategic and economic projects that China is financing in Pakistan. Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacts with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Wuhan. Despite China’s criticism of Pakistan-based terror outfits’ support to terrorism in Xinjiang province, Beijing has been reluctant to condemn attacks on India by terrorists based on Pakistani soil. ReutersIn the past, Chinese personnel working in the Gwadar port of Baluchistan province were repeatedly abducted for ransom or killed. There are thousands of Chinese experts working on the $62-billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) project, which offers China direct access to the blue waters of the Indian Ocean. Chinese tourists visiting the scenic Gilgit-Baltistan region have also borne the brunt of terrorist wrath when the Pakistani deep state has apparently looked away. At some point, Beijing became so worried about the security situation in Pakistan that it forced Pakistan to let its own forces provide security cover for personnel working in some vital projects.Though Beijing has on several occasions criticized Islamabad for its failure to rein in terror elements based in Gilgit-Baltistan creating problems in its Xinjiang province, successive Chinese governments have been silent about the Pakistan-based terror elements tormenting India. Beijing has a genuine problem of Islamist-inspired insurgency in among the Uighur Muslims whose Xinjiang home connects with the CPEC.Chinese President Xi Jinping is invested heavily in the prestigious One Belt One Road (OBOR) initiative and has to tread a cautious line as he cannot afford to antagonize the ISI or the JeM. Either of them can easily disrupt the hub the of OBOR which is the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). The CPEC is also the vital link between OBOR and the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road project that links Southeast Asia, Oceania and North Africa through the contiguous shipping routes of South China Sea, Indian Ocean, and the South Pacific Ocean.China periodically warns its nationals in Pakistan likely “terrorist attacks”. According to an NDTV report of December 2017, China warned the workers who were working on Xi’s OBOR development of imminent terror attacks. “It is understood that terrorists plan in the near term to launch a series of attacks against Chinese organisations and personnel in Pakistan,” the Chinese embassy in Pakistan said in a statement on its website.Still, Beijing has been emphasising “responsible and serious discussions” to resolve the matter, rather than proscribing the terror fountainheads in Pakistan. “Only by making a decision through responsible and serious discussions can we resolve the issue in a sustainable manner,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said in a media briefing in Beijing ahead of the deadline for the resolution to go through, flagging his country’s intention to thwart the resolution.This was the fourth time that China blocked on technical grounds UNSC bid for designating Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. Kang said Beijing saw recent escalation between India and Pakistan as “not conducive to the peace and stability in South Asia” and said it mediated to defuse the situation. However, Beijing did not find it necessary to prevent similar situations from developing in future, especially when Masood Azhar has threatened more attacks in Jammu and Kashmir.US President Donald Trump has been critical of Pakistan’s record in containing terrorism from its soil and asked Beijing to help rein in Islamabad. However, China has resisted global pressure so far. The closest Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government came to some concession from China was when it let Pakistan be kept on the ‘grey list’ of the UN’s Financial Action Task Force (FATF) that censures nations found to be failing to control funding to terror outfits. Even that concession came after External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj wound down opposition to excluding Pakistan’s name from a joint statement.
CognizantWikiMedia CommonsAfter firing a considerable number of its employees, IT major Cognizant is planning another round of layoffs. As per a report published in Financial daily, the Economic Time, Cognizant is ready to fire a few hundred as a part of the restructuring that is aimed at reducing cost. Moreover, the company is exploring more ways to further cut down on cost.The US-headquartered company is under the process of restructuring which is targeted at spurring growth and lowering cost. Further, the company is also boosting the variable pay components of salaries which will result in cost-cutting. One of the sources close to the development said, “It is part of the appraisal process; it is getting stricter. If you were a marginal performer or have not been allocated (a project), then they would look at beginning a separation process.”Cognizant Technology Solutions CorpReutersThe employees having experience more than eight years are expected to be targeted. The exact figure to be fired is still under evaluation and would depend on growth registered in this quarter. It is to be noted that the company has already suspended non-essential travel to save costs. Cognizant cut down its revenue growth forecast earlier this year and submitted that its hiring has overtaken revenue growth which eventually led to lower margins. As per Cognizant’s annual report for 2018, the company has around 281,600 employees at the end of 2018, with 194,700, or 69%, in India. Globally, the Cognizant had 288,200 headcounts as of June 30, 7 per cent more than 268,900 a year ago.The company, which has guided for the lowest growth in its history for this calendar year, had given voluntary separation package to around 400 senior executives in 2017 as part of its cost optimisation measures. Additionally, the New Jersey-based company is also delaying the joining date of the freshers and other new employees hired. The second person added,”The joining dates are being calibrated to ensure that utilisation is maintained. There is a strong focus on cost control.”However, the company’s spokesperson has said that it has started to dispatch joining letters since June this year. “We have already on-boarded several thousand students who are currently undergoing training in Cognizant Academy, and the rest will be onboarded in a staggered fashion, as is the process every year. Cognizant has a long history of honouring all campus offers and there is no reason to believe that this year will be any different,” the spokesperson added.
A member of Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) went missing in the Teesta River while chasing smugglers in Patgram upazila of Lalmonirhat early Tuesday, reports news agency UNB.The victim was identified as Lance Nayek Sumon Hawladar, 42, son of Hekim Ali of Habiganj district.Tipped off, a team of BGB men went to the bordering area near pillar No 144/3 in the upazila and chased a group of smugglers around 2:30 am, said commanding officer Lt Col Golam Morshed of Lalmonirhat BGB-15 Battalion.At one stage, Sumon slipped into the river and went missing, he said.A BGB rescue team launched a rescue operation to trace Sumon.
Map of MalaysiaThe Malaysian authorities have detained 409 foreign nationals including Bangladeshis in a counter-terrorism raid, according to The Star Online.Bukit Aman Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division head Deputy Comm Datuk Ayob Khan said out of 409 foreigners arrested, 133 of them are being held under the Immigration Act.He said the remaining 275 were released after stringent screening in Bukit Aman.DCP Ayob said the background of all the foreigners were checked against the Interpol Foreign Terrorist Fighter database, as well as the Special Branch Lookup database.“We will continue to mount more large scale operations and not take any chances,” he said.DCP Ayob said its focus would be in the Klang Valley and other major cities and towns.The operation over the weekend was part of its preparations for the 2017 SEA Games, which starts on 19 August.