Beckham backs North America World Cup bid

first_imgLacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? “A football competition as big as the World Cup deserves to be in great places and if the US, Canada and Mexico get that it will be very special,” said former LA Galaxy star Beckham in a video released by Major League Soccer.The former England captain, who played for the Galaxy for six seasons and was awarded an MLS franchise in Miami earlier this year, said he had experienced the passion for the game in all three countries.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“I’ve been able to have played in one of these countries and I’ve been to the other two as well and also played in Canada for the Galaxy but I know the passion that runs through all three of those countries,” he said.“Don’t get me started on the passion that runs through Mexico because the players that I’ve played against, I’ve played against them as a nation before and there’s not many nations that are as passionate as them.” Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew New head of Spanish federation upset over World Cup trip The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star said he attended matches the last time the United States hosted the event, in 1994, but that the game has grown enormously in recent years.“I’ve seen how much the game has grown in the last 10 years and it’s incredible to have happened so fast and changed in so many different ways,” said Beckham.“People are really getting behind the game now throughout the US and it’s great to see, it’s great to have been a part of. I’m excited about 2026 because if that really happens, if it does happen, I know for sure that as a fan I’ll be going to that World Cup.”A long-awaited report from FIFA inspectors last week left the North American bid as the clear front-runner after giving it a rating of four out of a possible five according to its criteria.Morocco, bidding to become only the second African nation to host the tournament, received only 2.7 out of five, but advanced to the Moscow vote despite red flags being raised over several critical components of the bid.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding LATEST STORIES View comments The 2026 World Cup will be the first to be expanded to 48 teams, posing a severe test for the hosts.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Former England footballer David Beckham arrives for the wedding ceremony of Britain’s Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and US actress Meghan Markle at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, in Windsor, on May 19, 2018. AFP PHOTO / POOL / Chris RadburnDavid Beckham has thrown his weight behind North America’s bid to host the 2026 World Cup as the vote looms, saying the fans’ passion for football would make the event “very special”.The US-Canada-Mexico joint bid is battling against Morocco for the right to stage the tournament, with FIFA members picking the winner at a vote in Moscow on June 13.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

USING ASSETS FOR STUDENT GRANT MEANS TEST BLASTED BY DONEGAL TD

first_imgSinn Féin Donegal South West TD, Pearse Doherty is the latest local politician who has hit out at the suggestion that capital assets should be included in assessments for the means test for student grant applications.A report proposing inclusion of capital assets as well as income in the assessment of applicants for student grants is to due be presented to Education Minister Ruairí Quinn in early September after the Dáil recess.This will hit farmers and the self-employed particularly badly, it is claimed. Deputy Doherty said: “Figures available from Teagasc show that, in 2009, the average farming income in Donegal was €11,968. A Teagasc report for 2011 showsthat only one third of farms are economically viable farm businessesand 35% of farm households are classed as economically vulnerableacross the state.“If the proposal announced in the Budget, for assessing capital andproductive assets for student grant applications materialises, thiswill unfairly penalise farmers, landowners and people who areself-employed.“In one of the worst summers in decades, many farmers across thecountry are struggling to make ends meet and the timing of this reportis likely to add further financial pressure to already strugglingindustries.“Minister Quinn is showing just how out of touch he is with ruralIreland – this proposal will exclude many students of farming andsmall business backgrounds from availing of the student grant scheme,even if they come from households with low incomes. Deputy Doherty continued: “The Minister should take note of the fierce opposition to this move and find a way to ensure that any new system of assessment for the student grant is fair, equitable and takes into account the trueincome of the household and the ability to pay.” USING ASSETS FOR STUDENT GRANT MEANS TEST BLASTED BY DONEGAL TD was last modified: August 10th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Pearse DohertySinn Féin Donegal South West TDstudent grantslast_img read more

Chinas UN vote exposes extreme vulnerability to ISI blackmail

first_imgExternal Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj at a UN meeting. India’s diplomacy led to 14 of the 15 UN Security Council members supporting the blacklisting of Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar.twitter/@MEAIndiaChina’s technical veto of an India-inspired United Nations Security Council (UNSC) move to blacklist Jaish-e-Mohammed and its leader Masood Azhar once again exposed its extreme vulnerability to Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence’s (ISI) blackmail, analysts say. The fact that the terrorist leader has claimed responsibility for the February 14 Pulwama attack in Jammu and Kashmir killing 43 paramilitary personnel and pushing nuclear-armed India and Pakistan to the brink of war after Indian Air Force’s Balakot strike did not deter Beijing from blocking the motion. The move to proscribe JeM was initiated by the US, UK and France, the three permanent UNSC members, but China placed a technical hold on the resolution that is initially valid for three months but may be extended further.G Parthasarathy, international affairs analyst and India’s former ambassador in Islamabad, has said the compulsions of China in backing Pakistan are understandable. He said on broadcast media that the recent UN resolution should still be considered a big success for India as 14 of the 15 members including four permanent members except China stood with India.China’s eagerness to shield Masood Azhar, a strategic asset the ISI has nurtured over many years, arises from its dilemma of having painted itself into a corner with no way out without damaging its own work of a long time, defence analysts say. China cannot ignore the fact that its personnel deployed in thousands across different projects in Pakistan are soft targets for any ISI-inspired terror attack. There have been instances of terror elements targeting Chinese engineers working in the hundreds of strategic and economic projects that China is financing in Pakistan. Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacts with Chinese President Xi Jinping at Wuhan. Despite China’s criticism of Pakistan-based terror outfits’ support to terrorism in Xinjiang province, Beijing has been reluctant to condemn attacks on India by terrorists based on Pakistani soil. ReutersIn the past, Chinese personnel working in the Gwadar port of Baluchistan province were repeatedly abducted for ransom or killed. There are thousands of Chinese experts working on the $62-billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) project, which offers China direct access to the blue waters of the Indian Ocean. Chinese tourists visiting the scenic Gilgit-Baltistan region have also borne the brunt of terrorist wrath when the Pakistani deep state has apparently looked away. At some point, Beijing became so worried about the security situation in Pakistan that it forced Pakistan to let its own forces provide security cover for personnel working in some vital projects.Though Beijing has on several occasions criticized Islamabad for its failure to rein in terror elements based in Gilgit-Baltistan creating problems in its Xinjiang province, successive Chinese governments have been silent about the Pakistan-based terror elements tormenting India. Beijing has a genuine problem of Islamist-inspired insurgency in among the Uighur Muslims whose Xinjiang home connects with the CPEC.Chinese President Xi Jinping is invested heavily in the prestigious One Belt One Road (OBOR) initiative and has to tread a cautious line as he cannot afford to antagonize the ISI or the JeM. Either of them can easily disrupt the hub the of OBOR which is the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). The CPEC is also the vital link between OBOR and the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road project that links Southeast Asia, Oceania and North Africa through the contiguous shipping routes of South China Sea, Indian Ocean, and the South Pacific Ocean.China periodically warns its nationals in Pakistan likely “terrorist attacks”. According to an NDTV report of December 2017, China warned the workers who were working on Xi’s OBOR development of imminent terror attacks. “It is understood that terrorists plan in the near term to launch a series of attacks against Chinese organisations and personnel in Pakistan,” the Chinese embassy in Pakistan said in a statement on its website.Still, Beijing has been emphasising “responsible and serious discussions” to resolve the matter, rather than proscribing the terror fountainheads in Pakistan. “Only by making a decision through responsible and serious discussions can we resolve the issue in a sustainable manner,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said in a media briefing in Beijing ahead of the deadline for the resolution to go through, flagging his country’s intention to thwart the resolution.This was the fourth time that China blocked on technical grounds UNSC bid for designating Masood Azhar as a global terrorist. Kang said Beijing saw recent escalation between India and Pakistan as “not conducive to the peace and stability in South Asia” and said it mediated to defuse the situation. However, Beijing did not find it necessary to prevent similar situations from developing in future, especially when Masood Azhar has threatened more attacks in Jammu and Kashmir.US President Donald Trump has been critical of Pakistan’s record in containing terrorism from its soil and asked Beijing to help rein in Islamabad. However, China has resisted global pressure so far. The closest Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government came to some concession from China was when it let Pakistan be kept on the ‘grey list’ of the UN’s Financial Action Task Force (FATF) that censures nations found to be failing to control funding to terror outfits. Even that concession came after External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj wound down opposition to excluding Pakistan’s name from a joint statement.last_img read more