They should never be alone

first_imgAPTN National NewsWhitehorse has seen 29 sexual assault cases in six months. And that’s just the number that has been reported.Women’s groups in the community are becoming concerned about the high rate of assaults, and they’re asking the question: how many more cases are going unreported, because women are afraid to speak out?APTN National News reporter Shirley McLean has more.last_img

Batchewana FN disappointed Ontario appealing Robinson Huron win

first_imgWikwemikong Chief Duke Peltier, Wasauksing Chief Warren Tabobondung, Shawanaga Chief Wayne Pamajewon, Batchewana Chief Dean Sayersn on June 4, 2018, at the start of final arguments in the Robinson Huron Treaty Annuities court case. (APTN file.)APTN NewsAn Ontario First Nation is reeling after learning the Ford government is appealing the Robinson Huron annuities claim – including costs.The federal government has said it will not appeal the December 2018 decision.“The provincial government has a fiduciary obligation to honour our treaties and Ontario’s decision to appeal the ruling is unacceptable,” Batchewana Chief Dean Sayers said in a release.“For decades, our people have received the vastly inadequate annual amount that is nowhere near the value of our shared resources of this land.”An Ontario Superior Court judge sided with 21 First Nations late last year when she said annual $4 treaty payments should be raised.Justice Patricia Hennessy found the provincial and federal governments had been short-changing First Nations in Ontario for more than a century.But she did not set a new amount under the Robinson-Huron Treaty, which was signed in 1850.Now comes word Ontario has filed notice seeking leave to appeal the decision.Although Sayers believes the judge’s decision will hold and Ontario will come to the table and negotiate instead of litigate.“Batchewana is disappointed in the province’s decision, however, we are confident that Ontario and Canada will follow through on their inherited obligation through a mediated process,” he said in the release.The treaty payments are a share of natural resource revenues within the territory.There are about 30,000 beneficiaries in the 21 communities.last_img read more

Media French PM to announce delay to fuel tax hikes

first_imgPARIS — French media say Prime Minister Edouard Philippe will announce a suspension of fuel tax hikes in an effort to appease a protest movement that has radicalized.Both Le Monde newspaper and France Info radio say the planned increase, which has provoked riots, will be suspended for several months. Philippe is also expected to announce other measures aimed at easing tensions.The prime minister is expected to announce the move later Tuesday.The Associated Presslast_img

China upbeat ahead of US trade talks but differences large

first_imgBEIJING — China has sounded a positive note ahead of trade talks with Washington, but economists warn they face lengthy wrangling over technology and the future of their economic relationship.Both sides have expressed interest in settling their tariff battle over Beijing’s technology ambitions. Yet neither has indicated its stance has changed despite a Dec. 1 agreement by Presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping to postpone further increases.A Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, Lu Kang, said American and Chinese envoys will have “positive and constructive discussions” during meetings Monday and Tuesday.Trump imposed tariff hikes of up to 25 per cent on $250 billion of Chinese imports over complaints Beijing steals or pressures companies to hand over technology. Beijing responded with penalties on $110 billion of American goods.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Alaska Highway open between Coal River and Yukon Border

first_imgThe Lutz Creek #BCwildfire is ~4,000 ha and ~5 km south of Lower Post which is 200 km northeast of Dease Lake and 20 km southeast of Watson Lake, Yukon. Structure protection is set up and operating in that community. Firefighters, heavy equipment and air tankers are responding. https://t.co/VUTqh2FmKt— BC Wildfire Service (@BCGovFireInfo) August 22, 2018 FORT NELSON, B.C. – The Alaska Highway is open again between Coal River and the Yukon Border.The Highway was closed Tuesday after a forest fire near Lower Post caused officials to close the highway. Highway 97 is open to single lane alternating traffic and is pilot car controlled.Lower Post remains under an evacuation order due to the Lutz Creek Fire.  The fire is now 5,000 hectares and 33 firefighters are working to fight the fire.last_img read more

Govt wont take profit share on oil gas output in less explored

first_imgNew Delhi: In a major overhaul of oil and gas exploration permits, the government will not charge any share of profit on hydrocarbons produced from less explored areas as it looks to attract the elusive private and foreign investment to raise domestic output. Breaking from the two-and-a-half decade-old practice of having a uniform contractual regime for all sedimentary basins in the country, the new policy provides for different rules for areas that already have producing fields and ones where commercial production of oil and gas is yet to be established. Also Read – Maruti cuts production for 8th straight month in SepIrrespective of the basins, producers will get complete marketing and pricing freedom for oil and gas in future bid rounds, said an official notification detailing rule changes approved by the Union Cabinet on February 28. Oil and gas acreage or blocks in all future bid rounds will be awarded primarily on the basis of exploration work commitment, it said. While companies will have to pay a share of revenue from oil and gas produced in Category-I sedimentary basins such as Krishna Godavari, Mumbai Offshore, Rajasthan or Assam where commercial production has already been established, they will be charged only prevalent royalty rates on oil and natural gas in the less explored Category-II and III basins. Also Read – Ensure strict implementation on ban of import of e-cigarettes: revenue to Customs”To expedite production, concessional royalty rates will be applicable if production is commenced within four years for onland and shallow water blocks, and five years for deep water and Ultra-deepwater blocks from the effective date of the contract,” it said. India began bidding out oil and gas exploration acreage in 1999 under New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP) that awarded blocks to companies offering maximum work commitment. But companies were obliged to share with the government profits made after recovery of cost. Two years back, the BJP-government brought in Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP) that provided for blocks being awarded to companies offering maximum revenue at different levels of prices and production. HELP failed to either raise output or attract new players. The notification said the new policy was being formulated “to increase exploration activities, attract domestic and foreign investment in unexplored/unallocated areas of sedimentary basins, and enhance domestic production of oil and gas”. While blocks in Category-1 basins would be awarded on basis bided exploration work and revenue share in the ratio of 70:30, those “in Category-II and Category III Basins will be awarded on the basis of international competitive bids based exclusively on the exploration work programme.” “The contractor will have full marketing and pricing freedom to sell on arm’s length basis. Discovery of prices will be on the basis of transparent and competitive bidding. No exports will be allowed. There will be no allocation by Government,” the notification said. The Contractor will have liberal freedom to transfer/exit the block provided work programme has been adhered to. However, a suitable penalty mechanism will be devised for non-completion of the work programme. The notification said that in case of the existing contracts, marketing and pricing freedom to sell on arm’s length basis through competitive bidding will be permitted to those new gas discoveries whose Field Development Plan (FDP) will be approved for the first time after the date of issuance of the new policy. In case of nomination fields given to national oil companies, marketing and pricing freedom will be provided subject to the condition that FDP for new gas discoveries is approved by DGH. “To incentivise additional gas production from Administered Price Mechanism (APM) fields, reduction in royalty by 10 per cent of the applicable royalty will be granted on the additional production over and above Business As Usual (BAU) scenario. BAU scenario will be approved by DGH on third-party evaluation,” it said. Existing contracts already having marketing and pricing freedom would continue on the existing terms.last_img read more

Christchurch terror accused faces 89 charges

first_imgChristchurch: The Australian man accused of killing 50 Muslim worshippers at two mosques here on March 15 will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges, New Zealand police said on Thursday. “Police can now confirm the man arrested in relation to the Christchurch terror attacks will face 50 murder and 39 attempted murder charges when he appears in the High Court in Christchurch on Friday 5 April,” the New Zealand Police said in a tweet. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from US The charges against Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, comes ahead of his second appearance at the High Court in Christchurch on Friday, reports The New Zealand Herald. He first appeared a day after he carried out the massacre at the city’s Al Noor Mosque and the Linwood Islamic Centre which also left over 50 others injured. The police said that other charges were still under consideration. Tarrant has turned down his legal counsel and said he wanted to defend himself against the charges. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls The High Court received 12 applications from both New Zealand media and foreign organisations to film, take photographs, or make audio recordings at Friday’s hearing. But Justice Cameron Mander declined the applications. Justice Mander also ruled the accused will appear in court on Friday via audio-visual link from New Zealand’s only maximum security prison in Paremoremo, Auckland. Tarrant will not be required to enter pleas to charges he currently faces.last_img read more

Chinas first lunar rover lands on moon

first_imgBEIJING – China becomes the third country, after the US and Soviet Union, to deploy a rover onto the moon since 1976.China’s first lunar rover, the Jade Rabbit, landed on the moon on Sunday and sent the first images taken after departing from the Chang’e-3 probe.The 140 kilogram six-wheeled vehicle embarked on the moon’s surface at around 4:35 in the morning, the Beijing Aerospace Command and Control Center announced.China has become the third country, after the US and Soviet Union, to deploy a rover onto the moon since 1976.The Jade Rabbit’s deployment was recorded by the Chang’e-3 camera and transmitted to the earth. The Jade Rabbit and Chang’e-3 will pursue separate scientific discoveries.The Jade Rabbit will cover a five square kilometer area in 90 days to record scientific observation on surface materials, natural resources and the geological structure. The Chang’e-3 spacecraft will meanwhile undertake yearlong field inspections in its landing area.The Chang’e-3 made a soft landing on the moon Saturday at 21:00 local time.last_img read more

Everyone Wants To Go Home During Extra Innings — Maybe Even The

In the top of the 10th inning in Sunday night’s nationally televised contest between the Astros and Rangers — one that will most likely be remembered as the night a 44-year-old nearly no-hit the defending World Series champs — the visiting Rangers grabbed a 3-1 lead.In the bottom of the frame, the home team’s hopes rested on Jake Marisnick, who, with runners at the corners, two outs, and his team still trailing by a pair of runs, worked a 3-1 count against Jake Diekman. A Marisnick walk would load the bases for the Astros, bringing reigning World Series MVP George Springer to the plate, a hit away from tying or winning the game.On Diekman’s fifth pitch, it appeared that Marisnick had earned a walk. “This is not a strike, this is off the plate,” ESPN broadcaster Jessica Mendoza opined as the networks’ K-Zone showed the pitch a few inches outside. Home plate umpire Adam Hamari disagreed, however, calling the pitch strike two. Marisnick struck out swinging on the following pitch to end the game, and the outfielder slammed his bat in disgust.Umps miss balls and strikes all the time. But the strike two in that Marisnick at-bat is emblematic of a larger pattern of borderline calls, albeit one that umps probably produce unwittingly: In extra innings, umpires will vary ball and strike calls in ways that tend to end the game as quickly as possible.To find this pattern, we looked at pitches thrown in the bottom of extra innings, when the game could quickly end.1Data was grabbed using Bill Petti’s baseballr package, which scrapes pitch location information from Baseballsavant.mlb.com. If the away team scored in the top half of an inning and held a lead, as was the case in Marisnick’s at-bat, an umpire hoping for a faster exit would call more strikes, making it more likely that the home team will be sent down quickly. Alternatively, if the home team got a runner aboard, umps would be more likely to favor them by calling fewer strikes, giving the team more chances to get the runner across the plate and send everyone home.Here’s a chart showing how umps changed their behavior in these situations between 2008 and 2016, a sample of roughly 32,000 pitches. Each square shows the percentage increase or decrease in the likelihood that a pitch is called a strike in that part of the strike zone. The color of each square (green for more balls, pink for more strikes) corresponds with which side umps are favoring, while how darkly shaded the square is reflects the size of the change (in percentage points). The left panel shows the comparative rate of strike calls when, in the bottom of an inning in extras, the batting team is positioned to win — defined as having a runner on base in a tie game — relative to those rates in situations when there’s no runner on base in a tie game. When the home team has a baserunner, umps call more balls, thus setting up more favorable counts for home-team hitters, creating more trouble for the pitcher, and giving the home team more chances to end the game.The right-hand side of the chart shows squares at identical strike zone locations, but shaded according to changes in strike rates when the extra-inning scenario favors the away team. More specifically, any time the away team is trying to hold onto a lead in the bottom half of an inning after the ninth. Here, and as in the pitch to Marisnick, umps call more strikes, giving the batting team fewer chances to extend the game.Altogether, teams that are in a position to win get up to a 27 percentage point increase in the rate of called balls, while teams that look like they’re about to lose see increased strike rates of up to 33 percentage points. Differences are largest in fringe areas of the strike zone, where the opportunity for umpire discretion is the highest: 62 percent of these squares in the left panel are green, while 72 percent of fringe squares on the right panel are pink.2We’re defining the fringe area as squares within one square of the black line marking the edge of the strike zone. In both settings, umps are more likely to use whatever behavior gets the game over with the quickest. That may not necessarily be a bad thing. MLB games are already slow, and extra-innings play often comes late at night, which means smaller crowds and fewer television viewers.MLB did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but the league has made no secret of its interest in shortening games. Even so, umpires may not be consciously deciding who should win. Humans are susceptible to various biases they may not be aware of, and even just a bit of fatigue could unintentionally push umpires in one direction or the other on borderline calls.Moreover, according to sources within the umpire union, umps don’t get paid more when games go to extra innings. In other words, MLB asks them to take on extra work without providing any extra compensation. That’s one more reason they may want the game to end early — their paycheck’s the same regardless. read more

SaberCat clawing his way back Former Buckeye Jamario ONeal is back in

If at first you don’t succeed, dust yourself off and try again. That goes for former Buckeye safety Jamario O’Neal as he continues his career in the Arena Football League with the San Jose SaberCats. A native of Mansfield, Ohio, O’Neal moved to Cleveland and played his final two years of high school at Glenville High School. O’Neal was the first commitment of the Buckeyes’ 2005 recruiting class. His career at Ohio State, however, never panned out. “I didn’t do the little things and stay on the grind that got me to that point,” O’Neal said. “I had a lot going in my life with school and everything, and I just kind of lost my passion for football.” O’Neal was an All-Ohio team selection his junior and senior years of high school. His senior year garnered him a Parade All-America honor before he came to OSU. Four years later, after splitting time at safety and cornerback with the Buckeyes, O’Neal amassed 49 tackles, one forced fumble, one interception and two passes defended. His recruiting class also included Kansas City Chiefs’ safety Donald Washington, New Orleans Saints’ cornerback Malcolm Jenkins and Washington Redskins’ defensive back Anderson Russell in the secondary with him. “Just thinking about all the times I could’ve done extra films, gassers (and) time in the weight room, I had talent but didn’t work hard,” he said. “You had guys like Malcolm and Donald who worked hard and had talent.” After being suspended for the Spring Game and first two games of 2008 for a team violation, O’Neal didn’t make it back into the starting rotation. O’Neal worked out during Pro Day, but no one offered him a contract during the NFL Draft. He spent the next two years out of football, until he got a phone call from his agent in October 2010 regarding the SaberCats and another chance on the field. “I had time to reflect while I was away,” he said. He immediately began to study the team playbook and prepare for the faster pace of the indoor game. “I was out of football for damned near two years,” he said. “Adjusting to the mental aspect was easy. With the physical aspect, that is something that you have to work on everyday.” After missing the first four games of the season with a strained hamstring, O’Neal had an immediate impact with a forced fumble and recovery in his first game against the Tulsa Talons. “Jamario brought real good enthusiasm,” teammate Mervin Brookins said. “He turns it on when he gets on the field.” In week seven, O’Neal had an interception return for a touchdown in a 68-61 win against the Philadelphia Soul. Since then, he’s had 11.5 tackles, nine of which were solo in three games for the 5-3 SaberCats. Having proved his playing abilities to everyone who said he was a bust, O’Neal is confident when talking about his future after football. “After this: big things. I just need to stay focused,” he said. read more