UN agency welcomes reopening of key bridge in Gaza Strip

Attending the re-opening ceremony, UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) Commissioner-General Karen Koning AbuZayd said the agency was proud to have supported the 88-metre-long bridge’s reconstruction.“This is an important project, but it is one among many others that need to be undertaken to repair the damage done to civilian infrastructure by years of conflict,” Ms. AbuZayd said.“With the support of UNRWA and the international community, I hope that other reconstruction projects can be undertaken to raise the standard of living in the West Bank and Gaza.”Built in 1962 by Egypt, the bridge connects the south of Gaza with the north and becomes especially vital during winter, when heavy rains and flash floods make movement within the Gaza Strip more difficult.It was destroyed by the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) last June, and reconstruction began in December and took about 14 weeks. 22 March 2007The main United Nations agency charged with caring for Palestinian refugees today welcomed the re-opening of the Wadi Gaza bridge, a vital transport link in the Gaza Strip that was destroyed by Israeli military forces last year. read more

US has asked the federal court to throw out Huawei lawsuit

NEW YORK — The U.S. government filed a motion on Wednesday asking for the dismissal of a lawsuit by Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. that claimed the United States had acted illegally when it blacklisted Huawei’s products.Huawei sued the U.S. government in early March, in a complaint filed in federal court in Texas, saying that a law limiting its American business was unconstitutional.The company has been a component of the ongoing trade war between the U.S. and China that has hung over financial markets, with President Donald Trump recently agreeing to loosen restrictions on Huawei after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Group of 20 summit. Down to Business podcast: Why Huawei thinks Canada should trust its 5G gear U.S. ban is hurting Huawei more than it thought — $30 billion more If Trump calls me, ‘I may not answer’: Huawei founder defiant in storm that threatens his company’s survival Top representatives of the two countries are organizing to resume talks next week, according to Trump administration officials.On Wednesday, the U.S. government said that because the company was still blacklisted, licence requests from U.S. companies seeking to import products to Huawei were being reviewed “under the highest national security scrutiny.”Related Stories:Huawei drops lawsuit against U.S. over seized equipment – court filingU.S. charges Chinese professor in latest shot at HuaweiSenators want FCC to review Chinese telecom approvals to operate in U.S.The government’s motion was filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the same court where the original complaint was filed.Huawei did not immediately return a request for comment. read more