NEW YORK — The U.S. government filed a motion on Wednesday asking for the dismissal of a lawsuit by Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. that claimed the United States had acted illegally when it blacklisted Huawei’s products.Huawei sued the U.S. government in early March, in a complaint filed in federal court in Texas, saying that a law limiting its American business was unconstitutional.The company has been a component of the ongoing trade war between the U.S. and China that has hung over financial markets, with President Donald Trump recently agreeing to loosen restrictions on Huawei after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping at the Group of 20 summit. Down to Business podcast: Why Huawei thinks Canada should trust its 5G gear U.S. ban is hurting Huawei more than it thought — $30 billion more If Trump calls me, ‘I may not answer’: Huawei founder defiant in storm that threatens his company’s survival Top representatives of the two countries are organizing to resume talks next week, according to Trump administration officials.On Wednesday, the U.S. government said that because the company was still blacklisted, licence requests from U.S. companies seeking to import products to Huawei were being reviewed “under the highest national security scrutiny.”Related Stories:Huawei drops lawsuit against U.S. over seized equipment – court filingU.S. charges Chinese professor in latest shot at HuaweiSenators want FCC to review Chinese telecom approvals to operate in U.S.The government’s motion was filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, the same court where the original complaint was filed.Huawei did not immediately return a request for comment.
“The authorities and some aid agencies have distributed food but on an irregular basis and it is vital that distributions be stepped up and made more regular,” stated the spokesperson. The UN refugee agency stressed that it is currently working on finding a new site for displaced people as well as preparing to deliver relief items such as mattresses, mats, solar lanterns, cooking supplies, mosquito nets, jerry cans, slippers, female hygiene materials, soap, and detergent, to the vulnerable families in Monguno. Mr. Spindler underscored the importance of providing more humanitarian aid to the people of Nigeria. “Even though several agencies are providing life-saving treatment, malnutrition remains rampant in Monguno and other newly accessible areas,” with children suffering from severe malnutrition, he added. Due to the ongoing insecurity, and presence of land mines in villages and fields, many inhabitants are unlikely to return home. UNHCR is working with the authorities and other aid agencies to help them develop a new site in Monguno to improve the accommodations. In the past two years, nearly 1.88 million people fled Boko Haram violence, while 2 million people have been forcibly displaced in Nigeria, the UNHCR reported. According to UNHCR, Nigerian military operations earlier in 2016 in the country’s north-east pushed Boko Haram out of a sweep of some major towns, such as Monguno, 140 kilometres north of the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, and freeing tens of thousands of people from the insurgents’ rule. UNHCR takes notes from a displaced woman in Kuya camp, Monguno, Nigeria. Many families are headed by women because their husbands have been killed by Boko Haram or have disappeared. Photo: UNHCR/Hélène Caux Reporting the initial findings of staff who had been conducting screenings in the past fortnight on needs and vulnerability in newly accessible areas of crisis-torn Borno state, William Spindler, spokesperson for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) told the regular bi-weekly press briefing in Geneva that the agency’s team and partners had been interviewing community leaders and individuals about their situation in several towns in the region, including Monguno, Bama, Damboa, Dikwa, Konduga, Mafa, Magumeri and Shani. He said they had detected a “high level of vulnerability among people displaced by Boko Haram with nearly every family affected by very worrying protection issues and that some of these people live in fear that the insurgency group could attack them again.” Indeed, the agency uncovered a similar pattern of vulnerability throughout the assessment: children being sent on to the streets to beg for food and money; many people without a safe to sleep, with some camping in dilapidated schools; mothers whose husbands were kidnapped or who have disappeared have been left to care for as many as 10 children alone in places where they struggle to work or earn money. More than 60,000 people living in Monguno area were relocated to nine other sites as the military operations continue to take place in the northern part of Borno state in the effort to oust Boko Haram. In Kuya site, there is a great need of regular supplies of aid, as 7,500 people are living in dilapidated school buildings and makeshift shelters, and experience major food shortages, said Mr. Spindler.