As of Now, the U.S. Is Officially Out of the Paris Climate Agreement

first_imgOther countries would most likely give a Biden administration some time to get on its feet but would also want to see strong early signs that the United States has substantial plans to cut domestic emissions from cars, power plants and other sources. – Advertisement – On Nov. 4, 2019, the earliest possible day under United Nations rules that a country could begin the final withdrawal process, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo filed paperwork to do so. It automatically finalized a year later. So, as of Wednesday morning, the United States is officially no longer a part of the group of nations pledging to address climate change.President Trump has called the Paris Agreement “job-killing” and said it would “punish the American people while enriching foreign polluters.” WASHINGTON — Au revoir, Paris Agreement. As of Wednesday, under United Nations rules, the United States is officially out of the global climate accord. Here’s a look at how it happened, what it means and what might happen next.How did we get here?You could be forgiven for thinking the United States quit the global climate change agreement a long time ago. Ever since 2017, when President Trump announced his intention to abandon the pact, he’s spoken about withdrawal as if it was a done deal. In fact, however, pulling out of the Paris Agreement has been a lengthy process.- Advertisement – Technically, though, the Paris Agreement doesn’t require the United States to do anything. In fact, it’s not even a treaty. It’s a nonbinding agreement among nations of all levels of wealth and responsibility for causing climate change to reduce domestic emissions. “There’s momentum continuing to build even with the U.S. pulling out,” said Alden Meyer, a director at the Union of Concerned Scientists and a 30-year veteran of international climate negotiations.“The question is, would it continue without the U.S. fully on board?” he said.Will U.S. greenhouse gas emissions spike?Not necessarily. Leaving the Paris Agreement does not in itself mean the United States will stop addressing climate change.On the other hand, it does mean the federal government has formally abandoned, for now at least, President Obama’s goal of cutting emissions about 28 percent below 2005 levels by 2025.In reality, the United States under President Trump walked away from that target years ago. Right now, we’re about halfway to the Obama-era goal and not on track to meet it. So, while emissions probably won’t rise, they also won’t fall fast enough to avert the worst effects of climate change.Is the U.S. withdrawal final?No. Any future president could opt back in.Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. has pledged that he will recommit the United States to the Paris Agreement on Day 1. In practical terms that means on Inauguration Day, Jan. 20, his administration would send a letter to the United Nations notifying it of America’s intention to rejoin. The American return would become official 30 days later. As of Wednesday, in addition to the United States, the countries that originally signed but not formally adopted the Paris Agreement are: Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, South Sudan, Turkey and Yemen.So far, no other country has followed the United States in renouncing the Paris Agreement. At one point President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil threatened to do so but he later reversed course.Almost every country in the world. Of the 195 countries that signed the Paris Agreement, 189 have ratified the accord. Initially Nicaragua and Syria withheld their support from the pact but both eventually joined the agreement.As of Wednesday, in addition to the United States, the countries that originally signed but not completed the formal adoption process are: Angola, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, South Sudan, Turkey and Yemen.So far, no other country has followed the United States in formally quitting the Paris Agreement. At one point President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil threatened to do so but he later reversed course.In recent weeks there have been a spate of ambitious climate commitments from Europe and Asia. The European Parliament voted last month to cut emissions 60 percent by 2030, with the goal of reaching carbon neutrality by 2050. That measure will now be considered by the European Union’s council of ministers. China vowed to become carbon neutral by 2060. That pledge was followed by ones from South Korea and Japan, both of which vowed to zero out net emissions by 2050. The accord essentially ties together every nation’s voluntary emissions pledge in a single forum, with the understanding that countries will set even tougher targets over time over time. The United States under President Barack Obama promised to reduce its emissions about 28 percent below 2005 levels by 2025, but progress on that goal stopped under the Trump administration.There are some reporting requirements to ensure that countries are making progress, but the Trump administration flouted those and so far has suffered no consequences.Who’s still in, and what are they doing?Almost every country in the world. Of the 195 countries that signed the Paris Agreement, 189 went on to formally adopt the accord. Initially Nicaragua and Syria withheld their support from the pact but both eventually joined the agreement. – Advertisement – By the time the United States joins other countries at the next United Nations climate conference, scheduled for Glasgow in November next year, it would be expected to have an emissions-cutting target even more ambitious than the Obama-era one.If the United States stayed out of the agreement, it could still have a voice in United Nations climate negotiations. That’s because it would still be a member of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, the body that created the Paris Agreement. America would, however, be reduced to observer status, which means its negotiators would be allowed to attend meetings and work with other countries to shape outcomes, but would not be allowed to vote on decisions.“They will still have influence, but nothing like they would as full players,” Mr. Meyer said. – Advertisement –last_img read more

How Pregnant Mandy Moore Is Hiding Baby Bump on ‘This Is Us’

first_imgGetting creative! Pregnant Mandy Moore is keeping her baby bump under the radar on This Is Us.“I’m sure you’ll see Rebecca [Pearson] carrying a lot of laundry baskets and oversize purses and God knows what the next couple of months,” the actress, 36, said during a Friday, November 13, Today show appearance.How Pregnant Mandy Moore Is Hiding Her Baby Bump on This Is UsMandy Moore on This Is Us NBC- Advertisement – – Advertisement – While awaiting her little one’s arrival, the New Hampshire native feels “like a sponge” collecting parenting advice. Moore told Hoda Kotb: “I want to soak it all up.”The Princess Diaries star added, “Having played a sort of [the] matriarch of a family for the last five years and getting to sort of see children at various different chapters and stages, I feel like I’m as pseudo-prepared as I can be.”The singer revealed in September that she and her husband, Taylor Goldsmith, have a baby boy on the way. “Baby Boy Goldsmith coming early 2021,” she captioned her Instagram announcement at the time.- Advertisement – The following month, Moore’s TV husband, Milo Ventimiglia, exclusively told Us Weekly about working with the pregnant star.“I’m sure as she’s evolving in her birth, as her belly is growing, then we’ll probably be playing some of those notes up to the Big Three’s birth,” the Gilmore Girls alum, 43, said at the time, referencing Kate, Randall and Kevin Pearson on the NBC show. “As far as I understand it, Mandy’s not really showing right now, but I think it’s gonna creep up on all of us!”- Advertisement – The cast began filming season 5 amid the coronavirus pandemic and took necessary precautions on set.How Pregnant Mandy Moore Is Hiding Her Baby Bump on This Is UsMandy Moore on This Is Us NBC“Mandy and I were inches away on Saturday doing a few scenes together,” Ventimiglia explained to Us. “She’s regularly tested [and] I’m regularly tested because of the seriousness of COVID and knowing that Mandy’s pregnant. We have 150 souls on our crew and nobody wants to put them at risk. I trust Mandy and how she goes about her life away from work, and I think Mandy trusts me for how I go about my life away from work. We’re always mindful of that.”The California native went on to tell Us that fans shouldn’t expect to see “Mandy kissing [a] Jack dummy or Milo kissing [a] Mandy dummy.”This Is Us airs on NBC Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET.Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories!last_img read more

Benn vs Formella: Fabio Wardley says David Allen was right to retire instead of pursuing future domestic showdown | Boxing News

first_img Wardley’s fake moustache certainly got Vallily fired up at the Fight Camp “Yeah I would have [been the wrong fight for Allen],” said Wardley. “I think Dave knows that as well hence when we even spoke to him about the possibility of me and him fighting on the 21st, when we were both struggling for opponents, and he turned it down.“He knew already that I was the wrong opponent for him, the wrong fight for him. I would have been too young and too fresh, and I definitely still have that fire in me, where it was lacking in him.“I just think he knew all that well in advance going into it and just didn’t want to put himself through that.”Watch Fabio Wardley vs Richard Lartey on this Saturday’s Conor Benn-Sebastian Formella bill, from 7pm on Sky Sports. David Allen has called an end to his professional boxing career 0:39 Fabio Wardley ruthlessly stopped Simon Vallily at Fight Camp Fabio Wardley believes he is too fresh and has too much “fire” for David Allen, who had considered a domestic showdown before announcing his retirement.The unbeaten 25-year-old faces Richard Lartey as chief support on the Conor Benn-Sebastian Formella bill on Saturday, live on Sky Sports, after claiming the English heavyweight title in August. Fabio Wardley returns against Richard Lartey live on Sky Sports Fabio Wardley returns against Richard Lartey live on Sky Sports

Inquiry leaves Boston tularemia mystery unsolved

first_imgApril 14, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Despite 4 months of investigation, the source of bacteria that caused tularemia in three laboratory workers at Boston University remains a mystery, the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC) has reported.The investigation into the three cases has led to some new safety precautions for microbiology researchers in the Boston area, however, according to the report by M. Anita Barry, MD, MPH, director of communicable disease control for the BPHC.In the coming months, the BPHC will take a number of steps to bolster monitoring and reporting of infectious diseases acquired on the job, noted John Auerbach, BPHC executive director, in the forward to the report. Steps include mandatory training, close monitoring of Boston University’s improvement efforts, and training for research laboratory personnel. Most of the changes affect microbiology lab researchers throughout the Boston area, not just at Boston University.The following account of the event and conclusions of investigators are taken from the 15-page report:While studying a relatively benign strain of Francisella tularensis last year, three lab workers at the university fell ill. Two got sick in May, the third in September. Their symptoms were consistent with tularemia, which can cause fever, chills, malaise, low back pain, and chest pain. F tularensis is also considered one of a handful of pathogens with potential to be used as a biological weapon.The illnesses weren’t reported until Nov 10. Authorities immediately launched an investigation that included the BPHC, the state health department, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the FBI.The investigation yielded some information on how the workers came to be infected through working with an attenuated laboratory strain not previously linked with human infection: they may have also been exposed to a wild strain of F tularensis found in some samples of their laboratory strain obtained from the University of Nebraska.But how the virulent bacteria found its way into the attenuated samples remains a mystery. The report said, “Testing at CDC continues in the effort to determine the time and place of contamination of the original vial. CDC is currently focusing its investigation on potential sources of the Type A tularemia outside Boston.”There is no evidence to suggest an intentional infection or contamination, Barry reported. However, she repeatedly noted concerns over a “routine failure to comply with safety protocols.”The report’s conclusions also include the following:The outbreak was limited to three people and never posed a risk to the publicFailure to spot and quickly report work-related illness in lab staff is a major concern for health officialsLaboratory infection control practices must be clearly documented and enforcedIn addition, the health commission is requiring that Boston University take several steps before it resumes tularemia research, including retraining workers on safety and modifying and strengthening standard operating procedures.last_img read more

H5N1 virus has not grown more dangerous, experts say

first_imgJun 29, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – An international team of experts has concluded that the H5N1 avian influenza virus in Vietnam has not recently improved its ability to spread to or among humans, according to news reports published today.The finding suggests that the immediate risk of a flu pandemic is lower than previously believed, according to an Agence France-Presse (AFP) report.The report quotes Hans Troedsson, the World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) representative in Vietnam, as saying, “What was reported to the government is that, according to preliminary findings, they could not find any indication showing that the virus has actually extended its range in humans.”The specimens analyzed by the team of epidemiologists and virologists “did not show changes,” Troedsson told AFP. He called the finding “very good news indeed.””The most important thing is that we could rule out that there was an immediate, imminent pandemic,” Troedsson said. “Since the virus is widely spread, the risk is still there but not as imminent as we initially might have suspected.”The story said the team concluded from “preliminary data” that the virus is not showing any increase in the efficiency of its transmission from birds to humans or from humans to humans.In addition, the experts did not find evidence of previously undetected asymptomatic or mild human cases of H5N1 infection, Troedsson told AFP. The story did not specify how the team looked for such evidence.Hitoshi Oshitani, leader of the team and regional advisor on communicable disease surveillance for the WHO, struck a cautious tone.”We did not find any indications to show that the H5N1 virus is extending its range in humans, though clearly it retains that capability should it change,” the Chinese news service Xinhua quoted him as saying.The AFP story quoted Oshitani as saying, “While it’s good news that we haven’t documented a significant increase in the extent of transmission in humans, there is still no greater threat to winning the battle against avian influenza than complacency.”The team recommended that the Vietnamese government increase its surveillance of the virus in both animals and humans, Xinhua reported. In addition, the group advised the Vietnamese to share samples from future suspected cases with a WHO reference laboratory outside Vietnam for independent confirmation and quality assurance.The team included experts from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, Xinhua reported. They left Vietnam yesterday after spending a week there.In May, a panel of experts convened by the WHO in Manila had reported that changing patterns of cases in northern Vietnam suggested that the H5N1 virus might be becoming more infectious for humans. The panel had cited an increase in case clusters, an increase in patients’ average age, and a decrease in the case-fatality rate.The panel also had said genetic studies indicated that H5N1 viruses were becoming more antigenically diverse.In today’s AFP report, Troedsson said the experts who just left Vietnam were able to do “more advanced testing” than had been done at the time of the Manila meeting. The story didn’t say what kinds of tests were done.Elsewhere, Singapore said it has begun preparing for a flu pandemic by stockpiling an antiviral drug and taking steps to secure a vaccine, according to another AFP report today.The country’s health ministry said it has begun buying oseltamivir (Tamiflu), which is used to prevent and treat flu. In addition, the story said, the ministry is exploring possible collaborations with vaccine manufacturers to produce H5N1 vaccines and ensure access to vaccines when they become available.According to the WHO, 108 people have contracted H5N1 infections and 54 have died since the current series of outbreaks began in late 2003.last_img read more

eConsulting: Ordinance on the annual lump sum

first_imgThe public hearing is open until December 13.12.2019, 1. and the Ordinance enters into force on 2020 January XNUMX. Pursuant to Article 11, paragraph 6 and Article 13, paragraphs 3 and 4 of the Tourist Board Membership Act (Official Gazette 52/19), the Minister of Tourism, with the prior consent of the Minister of Finance, RULEBOOK ON ANNUAL FLAT AMOUNT OF MEMBERSHIP FEE FOR PERSONS PROVIDING CATERING SERVICES IN THE HOUSEHOLD AND ON THE FAMILY AGRICULTURAL HOLDING AND ON THE FORMS TZCJJI TZACJJ TZCANJI FOR PLACE FOR PLACE RULEBOOK ON ANNUAL FLAT AMOUNT OF MEMBERSHIP FEE FOR PERSONS PROVIDING CATERING SERVICES IN THE HOUSEHOLD AND ON THE FAMILY AGRICULTURAL HOLDING AND ON THE FORMS TZČJEDI TZLAN PLACE The Ministry of Tourism has released the Rulebook on the annual lump sum for public discussion via the eSavjetovanje portal. Attachment: Cover photo: Pexels.comcenter_img RELATED VEIJST: This Ordinance prescribes the amount of membership fee for each bed in the room, apartment and holiday home, for each accommodation unit in the camp and rest area and for Robinson accommodation facilities paid by natural persons providing catering services in the household or on the family farm, form and content of the Tourist Form submitted by legal and natural persons performing economic activity, form and content of the Tourist Form submitted by persons providing catering services in the household or on a family farm, and the method of submitting data on the basis for calculating membership fees.   SMALL SCHOOL ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF RURAL AREAS AND CONNECTION WITH TOURISM EXAMPLE OF A TRUE HOST AND STORY TALKING IN FAMILY ACCOMMODATIONlast_img read more