Batchewana FN disappointed Ontario appealing Robinson Huron win

first_imgWikwemikong Chief Duke Peltier, Wasauksing Chief Warren Tabobondung, Shawanaga Chief Wayne Pamajewon, Batchewana Chief Dean Sayersn on June 4, 2018, at the start of final arguments in the Robinson Huron Treaty Annuities court case. (APTN file.)APTN NewsAn Ontario First Nation is reeling after learning the Ford government is appealing the Robinson Huron annuities claim – including costs.The federal government has said it will not appeal the December 2018 decision.“The provincial government has a fiduciary obligation to honour our treaties and Ontario’s decision to appeal the ruling is unacceptable,” Batchewana Chief Dean Sayers said in a release.“For decades, our people have received the vastly inadequate annual amount that is nowhere near the value of our shared resources of this land.”An Ontario Superior Court judge sided with 21 First Nations late last year when she said annual $4 treaty payments should be raised.Justice Patricia Hennessy found the provincial and federal governments had been short-changing First Nations in Ontario for more than a century.But she did not set a new amount under the Robinson-Huron Treaty, which was signed in 1850.Now comes word Ontario has filed notice seeking leave to appeal the decision.Although Sayers believes the judge’s decision will hold and Ontario will come to the table and negotiate instead of litigate.“Batchewana is disappointed in the province’s decision, however, we are confident that Ontario and Canada will follow through on their inherited obligation through a mediated process,” he said in the release.The treaty payments are a share of natural resource revenues within the territory.There are about 30,000 beneficiaries in the 21 communities.last_img read more

Chelsea keen on new Kante deal

first_imgAccording to Sky Sports, Chelsea are positive of tying down midfielder N’Golo Kante to a new long-term deal.Kante was pivotal to France winning the FIFA World Cup in Russia, and have been linked to Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona.The former Leicester City midfielder has over two-and-a-half years left on his current Chelsea contract, and the hierarchy at the West London club would feel more comfortable having him sign on a long-term deal.N’golo Kante and Eden Hazard’s contract negotiations have been troublesome for Chelsea, and they can’t afford to lose either or both of them.Tammy Abraham, ChelseaChelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.Sky Sports reports that Chelsea are in talks over a new contract and are hellbent on keeping Kante.The midfielder has a new attacking midfield role this season under Maurizio Sarri and has started all Premier League matches.He has scored four goals in 105 appearances for Chelsea since signing from Leicester City in July 2016.last_img read more

Vintage planes to recreate historic flight

first_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSunday, May 13th, the U.S. Airmail Service celebrated its 100 year anniversary.Dave Scott was live at Gillespie Field and the Allen Airways Flying Museum to get the details.To honor the occasion and raise awareness, three vintage biplanes will retrace the pioneering West Coast airmail route, Contract Air Mail 8 (CAM), from San Diego to Seattle, May 13-18, 2018. Vintage planes to recreate historic flight Posted: May 13, 2018 Dave Scott, Dave Scott May 13, 2018 Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Procedural Hurdle to Extra Defense Spending May Not Survive Compromise Budget Talks

first_imgThe compromise version of the fiscal 2016 budget resolution may jettison a procedural hurdle that could block the Senate from allocating $38 billion in extra funding stashed in DOD’s overseas contingency operations account (OCO).The funds were added to the war account in both chambers’ budget blueprints as a way of eluding the $523 billion Budget Control Act cap on national security spending. The Senate’s version, though, includes a point of order on spending from the OCO that exceeds $58 billion, the original amount requested by the Obama administration.If the point of order remains in the compromise budget, Senate Democrats — as well as fiscal conservatives — could block appropriations from the OCO that exceed $58 billion unless defense hawks can produce 60 votes to override the objection. Democrats could be expected to object to the use of the extra funding for the Pentagon because of the lack of a deal permitting domestic spending to exceed the budget caps. Fiscal conservatives could object due to the lack of an offset to the extra defense spending.The dispute between defense hawks and fiscal conservatives over FY 2016 defense spending will continue to play over the rest of the year, but there is a good chance fiscal hawks will allow the point of order to be stripped from the budget resolution to maintain Republican unity on the issue, reports CQ Roll Call.John McCain (R-Ariz.), chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said he believes the conference committee will remove the point of order from the final budget resolution.“I hope and believe that they will not have that requirement in the conference,” McCain said. “And no, I could not vote for it with a budget point of order,” he said of the conference agreement. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more