Michael Shannon Joins Jessica Lange & More for Long Day’s Journey

first_imgOscar nominee and stage vet Michael Shannon will return to Broadway next spring in the Roundabout production of Eugene O’Neill’s Long Day’s Journey Into Night. Shannon will play James Tyrone, Jr, joining the previously announced Oscar and Emmy winner Jessica Lange as Mary, Tony winner John Gallagher Jr. as Edmund and Tony nominee Gabriel Byrne as James.Performances will begin at the American Airlines Theatre on March 31, 2016. The production will open officially on April 19 and is scheduled to run through June 26. Jonathan Kent will direct.Shannon received an Oscar nod for his performance in Revolutionary Road. He returns to Broadway after appearing in Grace in 2012. His off-Broadway credits include Mistakes Were Made, Uncle Vanya, Our Town, The Pillowman and Bug (he also starred in the film adaptation). He’s additionally appeared on screen in Man of Steel and Boardwalk Empire, as well as the upcoming 99 Homes and Freeheld.Long Day’s Journey Into Night is the tale of an ordinary summer’s day with extraordinary consequences. Drawing so heavily from the author’s personal history that it could only be produced posthumously, the story centers on the Tyrones, a dysfunctional family with a drug-addicted mother, penny-pinching father and two troubled sons.Prior to Long Day’s Journey Into Night, the American Airlines Theatre will be home to the Roundabout revivals of Harold Pinter’s Old Times and Michael Frayn’s Noises Off. Long Day’s Journey Into Night Show Closed This production ended its run on June 26, 2016 View Comments Star Files Related Shows Michael Shannonlast_img read more

FIFA drops age-limit proposal

first_imghe FIFA executive committee dropped a reform proposal on Tuesday to limit the age and terms for its officials from the congress this week, saying “no consensus” has been reached on the issues among its member countries and a “thorough analysis is required.”Following Tuesday’s executive committee meeting chaired by President Sepp Blatter, FIFA said possible age and term limits would have to be “examined further” and the congress would be asked to put them back on the agenda for its 2014 annual meeting “with a concrete proposal.”The two-day congress in Mauritius opened on Thursday with its 209 member associations set to vote on various reforms.Next year’s congress will be in Sao Paolo, Brazil, ahead of the World Cup.The 77-year-old Blatter had publicly opposed age limits for FIFA positions – in contrast to the International Olympic Committee – but the proposal was still expected to be put to member countries in Mauritius.FIFA’s board also said it fully supports a resolution from its anti-racism task force and would ask the 2013 congress to vote on what are likely to be proposals for sterner punishments for those found guilty of racist abuse. These should include a mandatory ban of five games for any player found guilty of racism in a game. The five-game ban currently in force only applies to international football. The task force, led by FIFA vice president Jeffrey Webb, had been set up after the recent re-emergence of racism, especially in Italy.Blatter criticised a fine imposed by Italian football authorities on Roma for its fans’ racist abuse of AC Milan players, claiming it wasn’t large enough. The congress may now be asked to vote on bringing in compulsory and stricter punishments for teams if their fans, players or officials are found guilty of discrimination.FIFA also rejected a request by the Yemen Football Association that a ban be lifted on the country hosting friendly and international games, saying the suspension remains for security reasons.The committee also appointed new South American football president Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay as the chairperson of the 2014 World Cup organising committee. Figueredo took over as head of Conmebol from Nicolas Leoz, who resigned citing ill health before a FIFA ethics court ruling found that he — along with ex-FIFA president Joao Havelange and his former son-in-law Ricardo Teixeira — accepted bribes from the sport marketing company ISL in the 1990s.Figueredo took Leoz’s place on FIFA’s executive committee and attended his first meeting on Tuesday, along with newly elected Asian Football Confederation president, AFC president, Sheik Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa of Bahrain and Sunil Gulati of the United States.last_img read more

TFA Member Protection Policy Update

first_imgTouch Football Australia (TFA) has recently reviewed and updated the TFA Member Protection Policy, in line with Australian Sports Commission standards. It is a requirement by TFA that all State, Regional, and Affiliate entities formally adopt the TFA Member Protection Policy – June 2012 version of this policy, under the TFA constitution.For more information please click on the attachments.Related Filesmember_protection_policy_release_memorandum-pdfmember_protection_policy_june_2012-pdfRelated LinksMember Protectionlast_img

10 months agoSampdoria coach Giampaolo: Quagliarella just like Ronaldo

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Sampdoria coach Giampaolo: Quagliarella just like Ronaldoby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSampdoria coach Marco Giampaolo is delighted to be counting on Fabio Quagliarella.For Giampaolo, Quagliarella can be compared with Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo.”You could compare him to Ronaldo,” Giampaolo said. “He has a very high shot percentage, he always scores… and then of course he’s already worn that [Juventus] shirt. “I prefer to call him our Quagliarella though.” last_img

10 months agoMan City rival Man Utd for Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic

first_imgMan City rival Man Utd for Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovicby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City are rivaling Manchester United for Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic.Corriere dello Sport says United remain keen on the youngster, despite the dismissal Jose Mourinho. However, they now face competition from City.The 21-year-old centre-back had already been the subject of a rumoured €40m bid from Atletico Madrid over the summer.Now offers for Milenkovic from both Manchester clubs are being readied in the region of €50m.Milenkovic was purchased from Partizan Belgrade in the summer of 2017 for just €5.1m. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

4 days agoIvan Campo has advice for Takefusa Kubo over Mallorca battles

first_imgIvan Campo has advice for Takefusa Kubo over Mallorca battlesby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveIvan Campo says Takefusa Kubo needs to step things up at Real Mallorca.Like the Japanese teen, Campo played for both Mallorca and Real Madrid.He told Marca: “He is not at his best level, but it is normal because he is a very young boy who has to get used to it. He has no experience in our country at this football level and must be patient. “He must learn to move. He is a great player but he still has a lot to learn and room for improvement. If in Madrid they said that it is best that they should be transferred to a LaLiga team rather than stay in Castilla, for example, they saw it very clearly. I think it’s a good idea to be in Mallorca, although things are not going perfect for now.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Freedom Mobile is star of Shaws Q4 as cable internet provider transforms

first_imgShaw Communications had a $200-million profit in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2018, down from the same time last year but in line with estimates given significant changes undertaken by the cable, internet and wireless service provider.The company’s Freedom Mobile wireless division was clearly the star of the quarter, as it added 85,014 subscribers — more than double the additions a year earlier — and increased its fourth-quarter revenue by 45.3 per cent from last year.Meanwhile Shaw’s cable video and internet services underperformed expectations, with total revenue generating units (RGUs) declining by 59,231, compared with a gain of 24,352 a year earlier on the strength of its internet offering.“Wireless had an exceptional year, with all of our key performance metrics moving in the right direction,” chief executive Brad Shaw told analysts Thursday in a conference call.“In 2018, we grew our subscriber base by 255,000 — or 22 per cent — compared with (fiscal) 2017, to end the year at just over 1.4 million customers.”Freedom’s subscriber growth gained momentum after the company began to sell Apple products for the first time in December. It also upgraded its network with faster technology capable of using advanced features of most devices.Shaw’s management team said they expected Freedom to continue growth, both in its established markets as well as additional cities including the B.C. capital Victoria and Alberta’s Lethbridge, and Red Deer.The larger part of Shaw’s business, providing home video products by cable and satellite and landline internet service, eked out a small revenue gain despite difficulties winning and keeping customers.“In our wireline business, we delivered F18 results that are consistent with our strategy — to focus on profitable growth and stabilize results,” Shaw said.“I’m pleased with the significant cost savings that we have achieved during the year. However, I believe we can execute better.”In particular, he said, results from Shaw’s home internet services didn’t capture “significant” opportunities during the second half of fiscal 2018, which spanned March through August.Several analysts focused on the weak wireline results, which coincided with a workforce reduction that resulted in 1,300 employees leaving voluntarily by Aug. 31, and the gradual switch to a new generation of video-internet service.Shaw president Jay Mehr acknowledged that the company’s chief wireline rival, Telus Corp. had been effective in winning customers with back-to-school promotions in August.“It’s clear in a competitive marketplace when you win a cycle and when you don’t win a cycle. And they absolutely won a cycle, so no excuses from our end,” Mehr said.Among other things, Mehr said that — in hindsight — Shaw underspent on internet promotions in the month of August.“If I had that to do over, I probably would have spent a couple million dollars more on marketing in August.”He also acknowledged that the voluntary departures, which were made available to all Shaw non-union employees, had affected results when some leaders left. But those who remained were energized and effective, Mehr said.“We’ve got a real nice business here that’s a lot simpler than it used to be. And we’re very proud of how the team is executing.”But Mehr said he doesn’t think there will be a big bounce-back in wireline RGUs going forward, because of a shift in Shaw’s focus towards containing costs and growing margins.“It’s part of how we’ve re-engineered the whole company in the (past) six months,” Mehr said. “I think you’ll see us grow revenue by small amounts on a steady basis, with decent improvement in gross margin and a significant improvement in overall consumer profitability.”Shaw’s net income for the three months ended Aug. 31 was $200 million, or 39 cents per diluted share, down from a net income of $481 million or 96 cents per share for the same quarter last year.Analysts had estimated $199 million of net income, according to Thomson Reuters Eikon.Revenue for the quarter ending Aug. 31 was $1.34 billion, also in line with estimates and up from the $1.24 billion in last year’s fourth quarter.Wireless division revenue, which comes from Freedom Mobile operations in Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario, was $250 million — up from $172 million the comparable period last year.Revenue from Shaw’s wireline operations, which include residential cable television and internet services in Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba, increased by 1.3 per cent to $1.09 billion.Business wireline revenue was up 6.6 per cent at $145 million but consumer wireline revenue was flat at $942 million as rate changes and higher internet revenue were offset by declines in video and phone subscribers.The company says it will leave its monthly dividends through to at least January 2019.Companies in this story: (TSX:SJR.B, TSX:T)last_img read more

Grocery robots detect spills – with some faroff human help

first_imgEAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A wheeled robot named Marty is rolling into nearly 500 grocery stores to alert employees if it encounters spilled granola, squashed tomatoes or a broken jar of mayonnaise.But there could be a human watching from behind its cartoonish googly eyes.Badger Technologies CEO Tim Rowland says its camera-equipped robots stop after detecting a potential spill. But to make sure, humans working in a control centre in the Philippines review the imagery before triggering a cleanup message over the loudspeaker.Rowland says 25 of the robots are now operating at certain Giant, Martin’s and Stop & Shop stores, with 30 more arriving each week.It’s not the only robot that U.S. shoppers might spot this year. Walmart and Midwestern supermarket chain Schnucks have deployed robots that help monitor inventory.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Over two dozen organizations took registrations at 20th Annual Spring One Stop

first_imgFORT ST JOHN, B.C. – The Totem Mall was the host of the 20th Annual Spring Community One Stop registration event on past Saturday.The event took place between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and was hosted in by both the Mall and the City of Fort St. John.The Spring Community One Stop is an excellent opportunity for residents of the community to learn about what local organizations, community groups and sports clubs had to offer for the upcoming spring/summer season. With an impressive total of 26 organizations in attendance, the upcoming spring/summer season will be a busy one in the community.Activities available at One Stop were not limited to strictly sports but also included many literacy, music and art-based organizations.In addition to the annual Spring One Stop registration, a Fall version will be held in early September.last_img read more