CONEY ISLAND — San Jose resident and record-breaking competitive eater Joey Chestnut has done it again — eating 71 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes Thursday to retain his title as champion of the Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest. It was his 12th title overall.Chestnut fell short of his world record last year of 74 hot dogs. He was aiming for a new record, having consumed 75 hot dogs in a practice round.JOEY CHESTNUT 🌭🐐 pic.twitter.com/6FJJb1euiQ— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) …
3 August 2012 Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu, the Mining Industry Growth and Development Task Team (MIGDETT) and the chief executives of the South Africa’s platinum mining companies met this week to thrash out responses challenges facing the industry. The meeting in Pretoria was a follow-up on the June meeting, where the task team identified interventions that could assist the sector in the short-term and position it along a sustainable growth trajectory in the medium to long-term. Initially, some of the challenges identified by the task team are: the supply and demand imbalance that has resulted in surplus platinum on the market, exacerbated by the increased availability of scrap and recycled metal; the low price of PGMs; the substitution of platinum by palladium; and the declining competitiveness of the sector. As a starting point, parties to the task team agreed that all measures to support the industry would be explored before retrenchments. They have also committed through this process to limit the number of jobs to be lost, in the short term, and to lay the basis for sustainable growth, competitiveness and labour absorption in the long-term. “The short to medium-term interventions being developed and interrogated include the commitment to working together to explore mechanisms of cost reduction, for the purpose of improving the viability of the industry and protecting jobs,” the ministry said in a statement after the meeting. There were also suggestions to support increased domestic downstream value addition to platinum group metals (PGMs) as a means of generating demand for platinum, while supporting the objectives of the national beneficiation strategy. Others included the commitment to exploring other applications and demand drivers of platinum and the commitment to not compromising safety and health standards in efforts to reduce costs. The long-term strategy involved the parties committing to a programme that will investigate strategies for sustainable growth in the industry by supporting growth and job creation through competitiveness interventions, skills development, increased levels of PGM beneficiation, and the diversification of PGM applications and demand drivers. The stakeholders also reiterated their support for further constructive engagement on challenges facing South Africa’s platinum industry. Source: SANews.gov.za
Man City rival Man Utd for Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovicby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City are rivaling Manchester United for Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic.Corriere dello Sport says United remain keen on the youngster, despite the dismissal Jose Mourinho. However, they now face competition from City.The 21-year-old centre-back had already been the subject of a rumoured €40m bid from Atletico Madrid over the summer.Now offers for Milenkovic from both Manchester clubs are being readied in the region of €50m.Milenkovic was purchased from Partizan Belgrade in the summer of 2017 for just €5.1m. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Another legal roadblock for TransCanada’s Keystone XL pipeline.A judge in Montana has blocked approval of the line citing several issues, including the cumulative effects of greenhouse gas emissions.TransCanada had said they planned to start construction on the pipeline in early 2019.The pipeline was denied a permit by U.S. President Barack Obama in 2015, but Donald Trump made it one of his priorities of taking office to approve it and asked the Calgary based company to re-submit the line.Keystone XL, which was first proposed by the company in 2008, would run from Alberta to Steele City, Nebraska where it would connect with other pipelines.
TORONTO – A new survey suggests Canadians still have a strong relationship with their grocer — with only about a third of respondents saying their view of their favoured retailer has worsened following revelations of an alleged industry-wide bread price-fixing scandal.The annual online survey by Argyle Public Relationships and Leger Research found 47 per cent of respondents said their views about their grocer didn’t change following allegations that at least seven Canadian grocers and bakery wholesalers co-ordinated the price of bread and related products for more than a decade.Nine per cent said the revelations significantly worsened their view, while 13 per cent said it improved their opinion of their retailer.Survey respondents over 45 years of age, as well as those who shop at Sobeys, Freshco or Loblaws were the most concerned.The annual relationships index found Canadians’ relationship with grocers is stronger than with brands in any other category surveyed since 2016, including banks and airlines.Grocery retailers scored between 68 and 74 out of 100 possible points in a public relations index that averages public ratings of how the brand respondents know best performs on six items, including trust, satisfaction and concern for people.Three Loblaw Companies Ltd. banners — No Frills, Loblaws and the Real Canadian Superstore — received the lowest scores of the 10 grocery retailers included in the survey, despite offering customers a $25 gift card as a goodwill gesture in light of the company’s participation in the alleged price-fixing scheme.Their competitors’ banners, including Sobeys and Metro, outperformed them slightly with scores of 72 and above.More than 1,500 Canadians were surveyed online between January 22 and 25, and February 12 and 15 for this edition of the index.The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.Companies in this story: (TSX:L, TSX:MRU)
Left-handed pitcher Scott Barnes made his first career Triple-A start for the Columbus Clippers on Tuesday night, after starting twice for the Double-A Akron Aeros. Barnes began the season for the Aeros by giving up just two runs in 11 innings pitched, but he wasn’t quite as impressive in Columbus. He gave up four runs in five innings in his Clippers debut and, despite his team losing, 4-2, to Louisville, manager Mike Sarbaugh said he liked what he saw from Barnes. “It was a good first outing for him,” Sarbaugh said. “He gave us five good innings … definitely something to build off of.” The first runs Barnes gave up came after he walked two of the first three batters he faced in the top of the second inning, before Bats center fielder Dave Sappelt sent a hit down the right-field line to give Louisville the early 2-0 lead. Columbus battled right back and scored its first run of the game when first baseman Wes Hodges drove in shortstop Luis Valbuena in the bottom of the third, cutting Louisville’s lead to 2-1. The Clippers scored only one run in the third inning, despite having the bases loaded with no outs. Sarbaugh said it was a lost opportunity. “We had our chance in the third with bases loaded and no outs and only came up with one (run),” he said. “It had a chance to get us back in the game or even get ahead.” Barnes walked the first batter he faced in the top of the fourth, Louisville second baseman Chris Valaika. The next batter, right fielder Michael Griffin, made Barnes pay by sending a triple down the right field line to give Louisville a 3-1 lead. Center fielder Kristopher Negron grounded out in the Bats’ next at-bat, but Griffin scored to extend his team’s lead to 4-1. The most physical play of the night came in bottom of the fourth inning. After leading off with a base hit to center field to start the bottom of the fourth, Columbus center fielder Bubba Bell took second base on a wild pitch, and then third base on a ground ball. Catcher Paul Phillips was up to bat next and sent a fielder’s choice to Louisville shortstop Zack Cozart, who fired the ball to his catcher, Devin Mesoraco, as Bell sprinted toward home plate. Cozart’s throw skipped in the dirt before Bell lowered his shoulder and pummeled over Mesoraco, knocking him on his back and the ball out of his mitt for the Clippers’ second run of the night, this one unearned, again cutting the Louisville lead in half, 4-2. But following six runs in three innings, the bats stayed relatively quiet for the rest of the night. Bell was walked by Louisville reliever Carlos Fisher to start the ninth inning, and then Luke Carlin came up to pinch hit in place of Phillips for the Clippers. Carlin hit into a double play, and the next batter, Valbuena, grounded out as well. The Clippers lost back-to-back games for the second time this season. Louisville improved to 10-3 and remains in first place in the division, while Columbus fell to 8-5, two games behind the Bats, but still good enough for second place. The Clippers will have the opportunity to redeem themselves, as they play Louisville at home each of the next three nights.
Rick Lewis and the Buckeyes are set to take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, his fathers former team on Saturday.Credit: Molly Tavoletti / Lantern photographerRick Lewis took the lacrosse field in Piscataway, N.J., 29 years ago to lead the defense for Rutgers in the 1986 NCAA tournament. Now his son, Rick Lewis Jr., prepares to step onto that same field, as the Ohio State men’s lacrosse team looks to bring home a win this weekend in the Buckeyes’ final regular-season matchup of the inaugural Big Ten lacrosse season.“I’ve always looked up to my dad,” Lewis Jr. said. “So it’ll be really special to have my last regular season game … where he played his first.”Now a senior midfielder and captain for OSU, Lewis Jr. grew up with a lacrosse stick in his hand, receiving his first one from his dad’s friends at the hospital just hours after he was born. From there, his dad became his coach and the rest is history, Lewis Jr. said.The midfielder grew up playing in Cumming, Ga., earning All-American honors at St. Pius X Catholic High School, and also spent time playing in leagues in New Jersey, making him no stranger to Rutgers territory.“I know a lot of those guys,” Lewis Jr. said. “With the team in New Jersey, I was actually coached by my dad’s college roommate. I even lived at his house for the summer.”And while his old summer coach might be supporting Rutgers this weekend, Lewis Jr. said his dad will be on OSU’s side.“He’s rooting for the Buckeyes, definitely wearing scarlet and gray,” Lewis Jr. said.For the Lewis family, Saturday’s matchup might be “a fun rivalry game,” but for OSU, the stakes are high to bring home a final conference win for the regular season. And while Rutgers has already lost its chance at an NCAA tournament berth, OSU coach Nick Myers said he expects the Scarlet Knights to be ready to win.“These are two tough teams that are both hungry for a final Big Ten win,” Myers said. “It’ll be a battle.”OSU is coming off its only home loss this season, a 10-9 overtime heartbreaker against Maryland on Saturday at Ohio Stadium. The Terrapins locked up at least a share of the Big Ten title, and a win would have done the same for the Buckeyes. But instead of dwelling on the disappointment, the team used the loss as motivation through practices this week, Myers said.“It was the closure we needed,” he said. “We looked at what we did well, and the situations throughout the game where we need to improve. We’re focused on how to be successful against a formidable team this weekend.”Senior midfielder Christopher May said OSU focused on its efforts at the face-off X in particular, hoping to secure regular possession to kick-start the offense against Rutgers.“Maryland had a super talented faceoff unit. They communicated well and were good at causing loose balls, so we took that as a learning experience,” May said. “Rutgers likes to create offense off the faceoff. We’re going to try to limit the transition and put ourselves in a better position to win this game.”The loss against Maryland dropped OSU to No. 2 in the Big Ten. Even if the Terrapins lose against Johns Hopkins this weekend, the Buckeyes would share the No. 1 spot heading into the conference tournament, but would fall short because of the tiebreaker, as long as they win against Rutgers on Saturday.“We come out every game (at) full speed. They’re a very dangerous team so we’re preparing and ready to go,” Lewis Jr. said. “We’re focused on playing a full 60 minutes. If we do that, we can play with anybody in the country.”The game against Rutgers marks the end of the inaugural Big Ten regular season, one that, regardless of record, has been an honor for the team, Myers said.“It’s been everything we could’ve hoped it would be,” he said.Saturday’s game is set for noon in Piscataway, N.J.
Ohio State freshman quarterback Tate Martell warms up prior to the Buckeyes’ season-opening 49-21 win over Indiana on Aug. 31 in Bloomington, Indiana. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Sports EditorRarely in the recent history of Ohio State has the team not started a mobile quarterback under center.A program that takes Woody Hayes’ iconic quote, “Three yards and a cloud of dust” to heart, Ohio State historically won national titles on the shoulders of running backs, but has since relied on mobile quarterbacks as another option to run the ball and pass only when needed.Dwayne Haskins is not that type of quarterback. Tate Martell is.Martell was listed as the No. 2 dual-threat quarterback in the 2017 recruiting class, having flashed a powerful enough arm to complete passes downfield while also demonstrating an elusive running style that is more similar to the style of Braxton Miller rather than J.T. Barrett.Coaches have spoken of Martell with nothing but praise, acknowledging the progress he has made both in maturity and skill set since stepping foot on campus in the spring 2017. Martell embraced his role as scout team quarterback last season, helping the defense prepare while also working to improve his game during practice.The knock on Martell is that he lacks the experience of both Haskins and redshirt junior Joe Burrow. Haskins appeared in several games in 2017, including carrying the team in its win against Michigan. Martell has never appeared in a collegiate game, but that has not stopped quarterbacks in the past. Barrett began the 2014 season as the starting quarterback lacking college experience, admittedly filling in for the injured Miller. His predecessor started games in his true freshman campaign, taking over under center in just the fourth game of the 2011 season.Experience should be a factor, but it shouldn’t always be the deciding factor when examining how to maximize a team. Head coach Urban Meyer has leaned on mobile quarterbacks throughout his coaching career, ranging from Alex Smith to Tim Tebow to Miller to Barrett. The only time he had a pocket-passing quarterback at Ohio State was when Cardale Jones began the 2015 season as the starting quarterback, replaced later in the year by Barrett.Martell offers the Buckeyes an explosive runner who can make things happen even when the pocket collapses around him. If no one is available downfield, Martell has the ability to move. And while Martell might not be able to connect on as many deep passes as a quarterback like Haskins, he should still be effective enough passing to keep teams wary of his throwing ability.Martell is not viewed as the favorite to win the job and his legs give him the option to play other positions. But in a typical Ohio State offense, there is no better fit than a player like Martell.
Arsenal will soon announce the first signing of Unai Emery’s reign after PSG sensation Yacine Adli agreed to join the club, according to reports in France via Metro Uk.The 17-year-old playing style has been compared to Adrien Rabiot and is one of the Ligue 1 champions’ highest rated youngsters. The club previously persuaded him to stay but L’Equipe report that Adli rejected a very lucrative terms to remain in Paris and has instead agreed to join Arsenal. They are to pay certain compensation fee for his release.Opinion: Neymar will earn respect back from the PSG fans Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After completing his incredible return to Parc des Princes, we predict that Neymar will earn the respect back from PSG supporters.The situation between Neymar…While we wait for the official announcement from the club shortly, Adli will become ex-PSG boss Emery’s first signing for Arsenal, with the Spanish coach aware that his contract was expiring this summer.Adli also starred for PSG’s youth teams for many seasons, but Emery was ready to promise the game time that the French side could not to swing the deal.
Chelsea are preparing to make an informal approach for Zinedine Zidane, although Laurent Blanc is expected to take charge at the club after they pulled out of signing Maurizio SarriThe Blues are expected to release Antonio Conte from his post at Stamford Bridge this summer after a disappointing season which saw Chelsea fail to retain their Premier League and finish outside the top four in the league table.While aware that Zidane will very likely to be in high demand, the London club are prepared to make at least an informal approach for the Frenchman this summer as they seek to reclaim their Premier League crown next season.However, it is Zidane’s former France teammate Laurent Blanc who is now the new favourite to become the new manager at Chelsea after they withdrew their interest in Sarri due to his homophobic views.The former Napoli had in fact been involved in a big public row with former Inter Milan boss Roberto Mancini, who now is the new head coach of Italy.“The confrontation on the touchline? You have to ask Sarri about that,” said Mancini, as reported on The Sun.Maurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“He is a racist. People like him do not belong in football.“I stood up to ask about the five minutes being added on and Sarri shouted ‘p***’ and ‘f*****’ at me.“I wouldn’t be proud to be that, if he is what is considered a man.”Due to this, Chelsea have now decided to pursue a deal for Blanc.The 52-year-old was recently in charge of Paris Saint-Germain, where he won three Ligue titles.