News August 28, 2018 – Updated on September 4, 2018 Japan must look into the suspicious fall of journalist investigating links between Prime Minister and mafia JapanAsia – Pacific Condemning abuses Organized crimeViolence Receive email alerts JapanAsia – Pacific Condemning abuses Organized crimeViolence RSF urges recently appointed Japan Prime Minister to take a new turn towards press freedom Shunsuke Yamaoka, 59, founder of the Japanese-language investigation website Access Journal, was seriously injured on August 7th after a 20-step fall that gave him a fractured shoulder and 7 stitches in the forehead in the stairs of Tokyo’s Shinjuku subway station. The incident costed Yamaoka a day in the hospital and more than a month of recovery. The journalist is convinced that his fall was not accidental.The independent journalist, who investigated possible links between Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and the Japanese mafia, claims that he has received numerous threatening letters and faced an attempted fire at his house over the past years. According to Yamaoka, the police refused to launch an investigation as “there is no surveillance camera covering the area” of the incident.”Considering the subject that the journalist was covering, such an unnatural fall merits a serious investigation, which is clearly not being done right now” said Cedric Alviani, director of the East Asia office of Reporters Without Borders ( RSF). Alviani calls on the Shinjuku Police Station “to peel all the surveillance videos in the surrounding area, to call for witnesses to clear up the fall and to look into all the threats that the journalist received.”Since Nationalist Prime Minister Shinzo Abe came to power in 2012, Japanese journalists have complained of a general climate of mistrust and hostility towards them, especially when they are dealing with the government.Japan ranks 67th out of 180 in the Press Freedom Index 2018 established by RSF. News Help by sharing this information Organisation Follow the news on Japan May 5, 2021 Find out more News RSF calls on Japanese authorities to shed light on the suspicious fall of a journalist, who is known for his investigation in the supposed links between the prime minister and the mafia, that caused him to be hospitalized. RSF_en News Japanese reporter held in Myanmar is charged with “false information” November 19, 2020 Find out more On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia to go further September 16, 2020 Find out more
After recording 2,581 COVID-19 cases on Saturday, the highest number of positive cases recorded in the state over 24 hours, Florida broke the record again on Tuesday morning. Tuesday: 2,783Monday: 1,758Sunday: 2,016Saturday: 2,581Friday: 1,902Thursday: 1,698Wednesday: 1,371June 9: 1,096 The state reported another 2,783 cases of COVID-19 today, which now becomes the highest number of new cases confirmed in a single day. Since last week Tuesday, there have been over 1000 new confirmed cases every day: Florida is now up to over 80,000 cases and 2,993 COVID-19 deaths, according to the latest numbers released by the health department. The main message from the mayors was to keep following safety guidelines, such as wearing masks and social distancing. “We’re not going back to closing our economy because numbers inch up over a couple days,” said Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez. “What we’re going to continue to do is to strictly enforce the rules.” In the meantime, concerns are growing as to whether or not local leaders will reinstate the stay-at-home orders. Mayor of Miami-Dade Carlos Gimenez says that although he is aware of the sudden spike in numbers, he has no plans to announce a reimplementation of the orders.
MASON CITY — A plea change hearing has been scheduled for a Mason City teen facing gang and terrorism-related charges.16-year-old Justin Gilmore was arrested in March after an investigation that started last November where authorities believed there was a credible threat toward specific locations in Mason City. Court documents stated that Gilmore allegedly participated in or was a member of a criminal street gang and willfully aided and abetted any criminal act committed for the benefit of, at the direction of, or in association with any criminal street gang.Gilmore was charged with criminal gang participation, gang recruitment, providing material support for terrorism, and conspiracy to commit a non-forcible felony. His trial was scheduled to start on June 18th, but online court records show that District Judge James Drew late last week approved the setting of a plea change hearing on July 15th in Cerro Gordo County District Court.
A film version of Lee Strobel’s book The Case for a Creator has been released by Illustra Media. The book, third in a series of best-sellers by Lee Strobel (The Case for Christ, The Case for Faith) describes Strobel’s own journey from atheism to Christianity and how Darwinian had evolution played a big part in his youthful rejection of religion. Strobel interviews various scientists and theologians who explain the evidence for intelligent design from the cosmic to the atomic, from galaxies to cells. Incorporating footage from Illustra’s highly-successful ID films Unlocking the Mystery of Life and The Privileged Planet along with new interviews, animations and subject matter (such as the fossil record) The Case for a Creator packages a wide variety of creation evidences into a one-hour package centered around Strobel’s spiritual quest. One reviewer wrote, “This DVD is excellent. It is just as high quality, if not more so, than the other Illustra productions. It basically smashes Unlocking, Icons, and Privileged Planet into one disc. It’s a wonderful resource.” Access Research Network says, “As with previous Illustra Media documentaries, this one is chock full of stunning graphics, amazing animations, and a theater-worthy soundtrack.” The DVD also contains bonus features with lists of additional resources. Of special interest is a series of frequently-asked questions, answered in short interviews by by the scientists and theologians seen in the main film. Click here for the producer’s film page.This DVD makes a convenient witnessing tool. The prior three films mentioned above are all still excellent and go into more detail in their respective subjects. But for people not willing to watch three hours of video, The Case for a Creator brings most of the best arguments together into a single, attractively-produced hour-long package. Though some of the animations will look familiar, the film includes new animations of ATP synthase and other molecular machines, an enhanced look at the universe-generator from The Privileged Planet, a dramatic visualization of the precision of the gravitational constant, and more. Viewers will get a kick out of the “monkey-typewriter” segment. The story line revolving around a true testimony of a skeptic investigating the case for a Creator may make this film resonate with more viewers than one strictly about science. Anything Illustra produces carries with it a reputation of production quality and content credibility unsurpassed in the field of creation/ID graphical media. Get a quantity of these DVDs and start handing them out.(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
Schmeichel slams Liverpool ace Shaqiri for ‘behaving like a child’by Paul Vegas16 days agoSend to a friendShare the lovePeter Schmeichel says Xherdan Shaqiri “behaved like a child” over the Switzerland captaincy row.Liverpool ace Shaqiri reportedly missed Switzerland’s last two Euro2020 qualifiers because he was annoyed over Granit XhakaThe Arsenal midfielder was open to discussing it with Shaqiri, who has been criticised by Schmeichel.”I liked the words of Granit Xhaka in the context of Shaqiri’s absence,” the Manchester United legend said.”I read that the captain question played a role in Shaqiri’s thinking.”Although this has been denied in the meantime, nevertheless I found it strong that Xhaka said: ‘If Shaqiri wants to have the captain’s armband, he should take it.'”Xhaka showed that he wants to be a leader even without ties – and gave the pressure to Shaqiri. That was brilliant of him. In contrast to Shaqiri, who behaved like a child.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – “Solo: A Star Wars Story” is losing momentum quickly at the box office, even with a relatively quiet weekend free of any new blockbuster competition. After an underwhelming launch, the space saga fell 65 per cent in weekend two with $29.3 million from North American theatres, according to studio estimates on Sunday.“Solo” has now earned $148.9 million domestically, which is still shy of “Rogue One’s” December 2016 opening weekend of $155.1 million and over $135 million short of where “Rogue One” was in its second weekend.The 65 per cent drop off is one of the highest in recent “Star Wars” history, although it is less steep than the second week fall of the franchise’s last film, “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” which slid 67.5 per cent in weekend two this past December — but, that was also after a $220 million debut.Internationally, “Solo” added $30.3 million, and globally the film has netted $264.2 million.Paul Dergarabedian, the senior media analyst for comScore, thinks that all the media attention given to “Solo’s” less-than-impressive opening weekend numbers could have actually negatively affected its second weekend earnings.“Box office got conflated with perceived value of the movie and that might have affected its second weekend,” Dergarabedian said. “Sometimes news of the box office can impact a movie’s bottom line.”He noted that in comScore’s audience survey, most of the over 1,000 people polled “really liked” the movie.“Solo’s” tumble brought it even closer to “Deadpool 2,” which is now in its third weekend in theatres and still managed to reel in an estimated $23.3 million to take second place. With a domestic total of $254.7 million and a crowded marketplace with both “Solo” and “Avengers: Infinity War” surrounding it, “Deadpool 2” is still only about $30 million behind where the first film was in its third weekend.Shailene Woodley’s lost-at-sea drama “Adrift” fared the best of the three newcomers, which included the horror pic “Upgrade” and a Johnny Knoxville comedy “Action Point.” ”Adrift,” from STX Entertainment, washed up in third place with $11.5 million, while the others struggled to make a significant impact.“Upgrade” opened In sixth place with $4.5 million, behind both “Avengers: Infinity War” ($10.4 million) and “Book Club” ($6.8 million), and “Action Point,” which was not screened for critics, landed in ninth place with a dismal $2.3 million.This weekend also saw a few smaller studio landmarks for Magnolia Pictures, whose Ruth Bader Ginsburg documentary “RBG” became its highest grossing film ever with $7.9 million, and Pantelion Films, which scored a similar feat with “Overboard,” which is now up to $45.5 million.Even with “Solo’s” stumble, the year-to-date box office is still up 6.2 per cent as June kicks into gear with some big movies on the horizon, including “Ocean’s 8,” ”Incredibles 2″ and “Jurassic World.”Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theatres, according to comScore. Where available, the latest international numbers for Friday through Sunday are also included. Final domestic figures will be released Monday.1.”Solo: A Star Wars Story,” $29.3 million ($30.3 million international).2.”Deadpool 2,” $23.3 million ($41.6 million international).3.”Adrift,” $11.5 million.4.”Avengers: Infinity War,” $10.4 million ($24.3 million international).5.”Book Club,” $6.8 million ($1.1 million international).6. “Upgrade,” $4.5 million.7.”Life of the Party,” $3.5 million.8.”Breaking In,” $2.8 million ($300,000 international).9.”Action Point,” $2.3 million.10.”Overboard,” $2 million ($1.5 million international).___Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at international theatres (excluding the U.S. and Canada), according to comScore:1. “Deadpool 2,” $41.6 million.2. “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” $30.3 million.3. “Avengers: Infinity War,” $24.3 million.4. “Doraemon the Movie: Nobita’s Treasure Island,” $23.7 million.5. “How Long Will I Love U,” $15.8 million.6. “Believer,” $9.2 million.7. “Happy Little Submarine 20000 Leagues,” $8.9 million.8. “Sherlock Gnomes,” $3.3 million.9. “Truth or Dare,” $2.5 million.10. “A Quiet Place,” $2.4 million.___Universal and Focus are owned by NBC Universal, a unit of Comcast Corp.; Sony, Columbia, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp.; Paramount is owned by Viacom Inc.; Disney, Pixar and Marvel are owned by The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is owned by Filmyard Holdings LLC; 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are owned by 21st Century Fox; Warner Bros. and New Line are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a group of former creditors including Highland Capital, Anchorage Advisors and Carl Icahn; Lionsgate is owned by Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.; IFC is owned by AMC Networks Inc.; Rogue is owned by Relativity Media LLC.___Follow AP Film Writer Lindsey Bahr on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/ldbahr
PARIS — French media say Prime Minister Edouard Philippe will announce a suspension of fuel tax hikes in an effort to appease a protest movement that has radicalized.Both Le Monde newspaper and France Info radio say the planned increase, which has provoked riots, will be suspended for several months. Philippe is also expected to announce other measures aimed at easing tensions.The prime minister is expected to announce the move later Tuesday.The Associated Press
The Lutz Creek #BCwildfire is ~4,000 ha and ~5 km south of Lower Post which is 200 km northeast of Dease Lake and 20 km southeast of Watson Lake, Yukon. Structure protection is set up and operating in that community. Firefighters, heavy equipment and air tankers are responding. https://t.co/VUTqh2FmKt— BC Wildfire Service (@BCGovFireInfo) August 22, 2018 FORT NELSON, B.C. – The Alaska Highway is open again between Coal River and the Yukon Border.The Highway was closed Tuesday after a forest fire near Lower Post caused officials to close the highway. Highway 97 is open to single lane alternating traffic and is pilot car controlled.Lower Post remains under an evacuation order due to the Lutz Creek Fire. The fire is now 5,000 hectares and 33 firefighters are working to fight the fire.
New Delhi: In a major overhaul of oil and gas exploration permits, the government will not charge any share of profit on hydrocarbons produced from less explored areas as it looks to attract the elusive private and foreign investment to raise domestic output. Breaking from the two-and-a-half decade-old practice of having a uniform contractual regime for all sedimentary basins in the country, the new policy provides for different rules for areas that already have producing fields and ones where commercial production of oil and gas is yet to be established. Also Read – Maruti cuts production for 8th straight month in SepIrrespective of the basins, producers will get complete marketing and pricing freedom for oil and gas in future bid rounds, said an official notification detailing rule changes approved by the Union Cabinet on February 28. Oil and gas acreage or blocks in all future bid rounds will be awarded primarily on the basis of exploration work commitment, it said. While companies will have to pay a share of revenue from oil and gas produced in Category-I sedimentary basins such as Krishna Godavari, Mumbai Offshore, Rajasthan or Assam where commercial production has already been established, they will be charged only prevalent royalty rates on oil and natural gas in the less explored Category-II and III basins. Also Read – Ensure strict implementation on ban of import of e-cigarettes: revenue to Customs”To expedite production, concessional royalty rates will be applicable if production is commenced within four years for onland and shallow water blocks, and five years for deep water and Ultra-deepwater blocks from the effective date of the contract,” it said. India began bidding out oil and gas exploration acreage in 1999 under New Exploration Licensing Policy (NELP) that awarded blocks to companies offering maximum work commitment. But companies were obliged to share with the government profits made after recovery of cost. Two years back, the BJP-government brought in Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP) that provided for blocks being awarded to companies offering maximum revenue at different levels of prices and production. HELP failed to either raise output or attract new players. The notification said the new policy was being formulated “to increase exploration activities, attract domestic and foreign investment in unexplored/unallocated areas of sedimentary basins, and enhance domestic production of oil and gas”. While blocks in Category-1 basins would be awarded on basis bided exploration work and revenue share in the ratio of 70:30, those “in Category-II and Category III Basins will be awarded on the basis of international competitive bids based exclusively on the exploration work programme.” “The contractor will have full marketing and pricing freedom to sell on arm’s length basis. Discovery of prices will be on the basis of transparent and competitive bidding. No exports will be allowed. There will be no allocation by Government,” the notification said. The Contractor will have liberal freedom to transfer/exit the block provided work programme has been adhered to. However, a suitable penalty mechanism will be devised for non-completion of the work programme. The notification said that in case of the existing contracts, marketing and pricing freedom to sell on arm’s length basis through competitive bidding will be permitted to those new gas discoveries whose Field Development Plan (FDP) will be approved for the first time after the date of issuance of the new policy. In case of nomination fields given to national oil companies, marketing and pricing freedom will be provided subject to the condition that FDP for new gas discoveries is approved by DGH. “To incentivise additional gas production from Administered Price Mechanism (APM) fields, reduction in royalty by 10 per cent of the applicable royalty will be granted on the additional production over and above Business As Usual (BAU) scenario. BAU scenario will be approved by DGH on third-party evaluation,” it said. Existing contracts already having marketing and pricing freedom would continue on the existing terms.