New Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta responds to Arsene Wenger saying he has ‘no experience’

first_imgArteta wants to get Arsenal back playing attacking, front-foot football (Picture: Getty)‘And I want to attack. I want to dominate the opponent, I want the opponent to play in their own half and I have to be able to tell the players what is going to happen before it happens.‘And if that’s the case, they will feel more secure, they will sleep better the night before, and they will be confident when they step onto the football pitch.’MORE: Sam Allardyce reveals how Steve Round will assist Mikel Arteta at ArsenalMORE: Mikel Arteta’s stern message to Per Mertesacker and Arsenal coaches after appointmentMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City New Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta responds to Arsene Wenger saying he has ‘no experience’ Comment Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 21 Dec 2019 6:08 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link2.8kShares The legendary French manager is largely supportive of the move to bring in Arteta (Picture: Getty)New Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta admits Arsene Wenger is right that he lacks experience for the role but believes he will quickly prove he has all the tools required to do the job.The Spaniard was unveiled by the Gunners on Friday, having failed to land the job back in 2018 when Wenger left the club, and sat in the stands to watch his new side take on Everton at Goodison Park in Saturday’s 0-0 draw.Wenger is a big fan of Arteta and was supportive of the move to bring him back to the Emirates, though he did concede that the novice manager lacked experience.center_img Advertisement Arteta beat off a host of more experienced and decorated candidates (Picture: Getty)Speaking earlier this week, Wenger said Arteta – who he made captain during his playing days at Arsenal – would have to ‘deal with the fact that he has no experience at that level’.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTWhile the 37-year-old concedes that his old boss is correct, he does not believe it will be an obstacle and is adamant his three-and-a-half years at Manchester City under Pep Guardiola will serve him well.Asked about Wenger saying he has no experience, Arteta told BT Sport: ‘He’s right. I won’t convince them today that it’s something different than the reality.‘But there are a lot of things in those three years [at Man City] that I have been doing that are really relevant to create a high-performance environment, and this is what we want to do here.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalArteta had a busy first day at Arsenal, doing interviews and meeting the media, and repeatedly used the phrase ‘ruthless’ – a quality he wants his new side to start showing.Asked if they are capable of that, Arteta continued: ‘I don’t know, I will find out very quickly, but we have to be dominant, we have to show passion and we have to show aggression. Advertisementlast_img read more

Discipline vital if Munster are to win in Glasgow

first_imgThe Reds lost to Ospreys in Cork last week and need a victory tonight as they’re currently 7 points off the top 4 in 6th.Scannell says they can’t give away silly penalties again this week.last_img

Case to continue today

first_imgSingh, Brassington charges…SOCU ordered to submit additional documentsThe court matters involving former Finance Minister Dr Ashni Singh and former Chief Executive Officer of the National Industrial and Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL), Winston Brassington, will continue today before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.The men are being charged for allegedly selling several plots of land on the East Coast of Demerara to National Hardware Guyana Ltd for over $598 million; Scady Business Corporation at a cost of $150 million, and to Multi-cinemas Guyana Inc at a cost of $185 million.The Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) brought the charges against the two former Government officials early last month.However, the men, who both reside overseas, were not in court on Monday. Their respective lawyers instead appeared for them. Chief Magistrate Ann Mc Lennan has set the matter for today, when the prosecution will have to prove to the court that attempts were made to serve summons on both men.SOCU Prosecutor Trenton Lake has claimed that summonses were sent to the last known addresses of both men. However, those summonses were not available to be presented to the court when requested by Magistrate Ann McLennan. As such, the Chief Magistrate has said that any other step by the court can only be taken after the “return of service” is provided.In the three charges advanced by SOCU, it was outlined that Singh, being the Chairman of NICIL, and Brassington, being its CEO, in December of 2008, by way of agreement of sale and purchase, sold to Scady Business Corporation a tract of state land (4.7 acres) being a portion of Plantation Liliendaal, situated on the East Coast of Demerara, for the sum of $150, 000,000 “knowing that the said property was valued at $340,000,000 by Rodrigues Architects & Associates, a competent valuation officer.”The other charge outlined that Singh and Brassington sold to Multicinemas Guyana Inc a plot of state land (10 acres) at Turkeyen for the sum of $185,037,000 “without first having procured a valuation of the said property from a competent valuation officer.”SOCU is contending also that Singh and Brassington, in 2009, by way of an agreement of sale and purchase, sold to the National Hardware Guyana Limited a tract of state land (103 acres), being a portion of Plantations Liliendaal and Turkeyen, for the sum of $598,659,398 (VAT exclusive) “without first having procured a valuation of the said property from a competent valuation officer.”On Wednesday last, lawyers for SOCU were given one week to file an affidavit in response to show cause why the High Court should not grant an injunction to have an interim stay on lower court proceedings on charges against the two former Government officials.Former Attorney General under the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Administration, Anil Nandlall, is challenging these matters for what the defence contends are frivolous charges.Nandlall filed two High Court action seeking to (1): have an interim stay of proceedings in the Magistrates’ Courts; and (2): to have the charges against Singh and Brassington quashed.Singh and Brassington’s legal team include Senior Counsel Stanley Moore and attorneys Sase Gunraj, Ronald Burch-Smith and Mark Waldron.Since institution of the charges, a number of legal scholars have commented on the matter. Senior Counsel Ralph Ramkarran is of the view that the charges may be unconstitutional on the basis that Singh and Brassington are not “public officers” in accordance with the Constitution.After the charges were filed, Nandlall, on behalf of PPP MPs, took to the court to have current Public Health Minister Volda Lawrence and former Public Health Minister Dr George Norton charged with the same offence. In addition, Government Ministers David Patterson, Winston Jordan and Dr Rupert Roopnaraine were also charged. However, all of those charges were discontinued by the DPP in a move which Nandall contends is unfair, as he continues to oppose the decision.last_img read more