British PM Johnson in intensive care with coronavirus

first_img“The focus of government will continue to be on making sure that the prime minister’s… plans for making sure that we can defeat coronavirus… will be taken forward,” he added.Johnson, who confirmed that he had tested positive for COVID-19 on March 27, was last seen in a Twitter video on Friday, saying he still had a temperature and was staying in self-isolation.He also tweeted from hospital at lunchtime on Monday that he was “in good spirits” and thanked the medical staff looking after him.He and his office have repeatedly maintained that he only had mild symptoms and had been in constant contact with his senior ministers and advisers, chairing meetings by videolink. Prime Minister Boris Johnson was in intensive care on Monday after his coronavirus symptoms worsened, prompting concern for his health and well-wishes from political friends and foes in Britain and abroad, as the country battles to control the outbreak.Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab — Johnson’s de facto deputy — was immediately appointed to take over his duties “where necessary”, Downing Street said.”The government’s business will continue,” Raab pledged, adding that Johnson was “in safe hands” at St Thomas’ Hospital, opposite parliament in central London. Persistent symptoms Trump said he was “hopeful and sure” Johnson would recover, calling the prime minister “a friend of mine” and a “great leader”.Johnson’s pregnant partner, Carrie Symonds, moved out of Downing Street after some staff fell ill. But she said on Saturday she had just spent a week in bed with symptoms, although she has not been tested.Johnson’s spokesman would not confirm a report in The Times newspaper reported that the prime minister had been given oxygen treatment. “Doctors will be monitoring important vital signs such as oxygen saturations,” said Rupert Beale, group leader at the cell biology of infection laboratory at the Francis Crick Institute.He said they would also check Johnson’s blood to “see what the immune response to the virus looks like, and to assess liver and kidney function”, and may also perform an electrocardiogram to check the heart. But his admission to hospital on Sunday, less than an hour after Queen Elizabeth II called for a united front to defeat the virus, prompted concern his condition was more serious.That was confirmed 24 hours later when Downing Street said his condition had “worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital”.The government said he was moved as a precaution, in case he needed to use a ventilator. Topics : Working non-stop Housing minister Robert Jenrick told BBC television that Johnson had been working “phenomenally hard” during the crisis, adding that he would be finding it “very frustrating” to be ill.Johnson is not known to have any underlying health issues, although he has struggled with his weight, but some questioned if he should have taken more time off.Junior health minister Nadine Dorries, who also had coronavirus but has recovered, added: “Many with #COVID19 are felled by fatigue/temperature and use isolation to sleep and recover. “Boris has risked his health and worked every day on our behalf to lead the battle against this vile virus.”James Gill, clinical lecturer at Warwick University medical school, said Johnson’s condition “must underscore for everyone, across the world, how indiscriminate this virus is, ignoring class, character, wealth and position”. Unprecedented Johnson is the most high-profile world leader with the disease that has spread rapidly across the globe, and his transfer to intensive care is unprecedented during a national emergency.US President Donald Trump led world leaders in wishing Johnson a successful recovery. Other messages flooded in from the European Union and NATO to the World Health Organization.Earlier on Monday, questions were raised about whether the Conservative leader could still run the country, and Raab said he had not spoken to Johnson in person since Saturday.The British government was criticized for initially refusing to follow other European countries in requiring people to stay home as the virus spread.Johnson himself said in early March that he was still shaking hands with people.But two weeks ago he ordered a nationwide lockdown and Britain is now in the grip of a serious outbreak. Over 50,000 cases and more than 5,000 deaths have been recorded so far, with a latest daily toll of 439.Health Secretary Matt Hancock and the heir to the throne, Prince Charles, have both been infected with coronavirus, although they have since recovered.The queen, 93, made a rare public address on Sunday night, evoking the spirit of World War II and urging Britons to stay united, just before Johnson went into hospital.”We will be with our friends again, we will be with our families again, we will meet again,” she said in a rare televised address watched by 23 million people.Buckingham Palace said she was being kept informed of developments.last_img read more

Carter turns potential of Arizona desert into 25-year sanctioned Mohave Valley

first_imgMOHAVE VALLEY, Ariz. – Where others might only have seen sand and mesquite trees, Walt Carter saw potential in 40 acres of Arizona desert.The promoter of what is now the longest continuously IMCA sanctioned track in the state and one of the longest such in the Larry Shaw Race Cars Western Region, Carter now looks forward to the 25th anniversary celebration at Mohave Valley Raceway this spring.IMCA Modifieds headline the Saturday, April 14 event. They’ll run for an expanded purse and be joined on the evening’s card by dwarf cars.“We have been IMCA sanctioned since day one. I’m not a big special event guy but we will have a little something special for our 25th anniversary,” Carter said. “Weekly racing has always been our bread and butter and it always will be.”Mohave Valley held four sanctioned events in 1993, the first won by Wyatt Ehrp be­fore Don Berger won the last three features and the track championship.Remarkably, just a month and a half had separated the first day of work at the site and opening night.“Because of heavy winter rains, we could not even get in to start working on the property until February.  Since I had already put out a schedule, not being ready was not an option,” explained Carter. “From the time we finished clearing the ground, it took six weeks to cut in the track, put in the electrical and lights, build a crash wall, put up grandstands and a scoring tower, front and back gate ticket booths and 3,000 feet of chain link fence around the exterior. We opened on schedule on April 10, 1993.”Regional kings Jim Perkins, Dan Fitzgerald and Jason Pike are among Mohave Valley’s for­mer track champions. Jeff Sheppard Jr. leads the way with six career track titles at MVR while Sean Stewart is the defending champ.The track was recognized with a 25-year award at the IMCA banquet last November. What’s worked for Carter since the very first opening night did so again in 2017 with full feature fields and side-by-side excitement on each of 14 race nights throughout the season.“The question is why would anybody build a dirt track in the desert. Even though you have to do more work on the track, the answer is because that’s what works,” ex­plained Carter.The 25th anniversary event will also be notable in that it will be the first special held at Mohave Valley after the start of the IMCA point season.“It’ll be a special event but it won’t be Duel In The Desert part two. I am hopeful for a good field of cars so that it will be an exciting night of racing,” said Carter, also noting that “Over the years many of our racers have gone on to very big things, including the Busch brothers, Kurt and Kyle, of NASCAR fame.”“Mohave Valley is one of the tracks we have been identified with very closely on national and regional levels,” IMCA President Brett Root commented. “It’s pretty cool to be associated with a track like Mohave Valley Raceway.”last_img read more

Mike Tyson rubbishes Anthony Joshua

first_imgRelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight Mike Tyson has dismissed Anthony Joshua’s claims that he would beat Muhammad Ali in a fantasy heavyweight boxing match. Joshua, who is currently in possession of four of the five world heavyweight titles, was asked who would win a bout between arguably the two biggest names in the sport’s history on a JD Sports Instagram Live stream. “It’s quite interesting because in the era of Muhammad Ali’s heavyweight reign, the heavyweights were ranked as the cruiser weights of the Mike Tyson era,” AJ responded. “With Lennox Lewis, you know how they started getting bigger, hence why in the amateurs they then created a super-heavyweight division. “The current heavyweight division in the amateurs is what we class as the cruiserweight division. So Muhammad Ali wouldn’t have been a fully fledged heavyweight. “So let’s say we bulked Muhammad Ali up and put size and strength to him, I truly believe Mike Tyson would’ve won. The reason being when you watch the fight with Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali, you see a certain Tyson-esque to Frazier’s style. “Tyson used to study that Joe Frazier. The moving, the hooks. He managed to put Ali down in the fight, it was a very tough fight for Ali. “And I just believe Mike Tyson was better schooled, times have evolved, Mike Tyson was more developed. More science, more information. “So I think that Mike Tyson would’ve won, in my humble opinion.” However, Tyson believes he would not have beaten Ali, labelling the legendary fighter “the greatest there’s ever been”. Speaking to Yahoo Sports,Tyson said: “I know it’s a fantasy game. Most likely I would win the fantasy, I wouldn’t win the real fight. Ali’s the greatest there’s ever been.” Meanwhile, Tyson has also claimed that the UFC’s top stars will never make as much money as the best boxers.Tags: Anthony JoshuaJoe Fraziermike tysonlast_img read more