Cricket stakeholders ask President to ‘rescind’ Lewis’ appointment

first_imgHIS Excellency, President David Granger has been asked to “rescind” the appointment of Attorney-at-Law Stephen Lewis, as the Cricket Ombudsman, by the group ‘Majority Cricket Stakeholders’, as a matter of decency to cricket locally.Lewis, a former president of the Everest Cricket Club (ECC), was appointed by the Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) back in May, 2018 at an Extraordinary Meeting but after months of legal advice sought by Dr Norton, Lewis’ appointment was recently confirmed and this has now put the administration of the game in further dismay.During a press conference on Wednesday at the Malteenoes Sports Club, the Stakeholders called for the President’s intervention.It’s no secret that the Stakeholders had over the last couple of years been feuding with the current GCB administration over their publicly documented issues in the sport.In fact, a few Court injunctions were served against GCB in recent times.Representatives of the various stakeholders at yesterday’s press conferenceOnly recently Berbice Cricket Board (BCB), had challenged the legality of Lewis’ appointment. Subsequently, the court had halted the appointment of Lewis and an interim injunction was granted.At the head table during the press briefing were representatives from the East Coast Cricket Board, Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA), BCB and Upper Demerara Cricket Association.Roger Harper, president of the GCA, expressed his disappointment and displeasure at the act.“What we need is strong leadership to resolve our issue but that is not the case. Mr Cameron (president of Cricket West Indies), was never willing to meet with the stakeholders here to try to resolve the issue. I just hope that the upcoming CWI elections could pave the way for some decency in our game both regionally and locally,” Harper said.President of the East Coast Cricket Board (ECCB), Bissoondyal Singh in his remarks said cricket is a business where it provides a livelihood for many people, adding that the Minister’s decision to confirm Lewis is a mockery to the law.Meanwhile, secretary of BCB, Rabindranauth Saywack, believes Lewis failed to uphold the injunction, and is making a mockery of his appointment.The GCB has not had a properly constituted, or what many observers have labelled, “free and fair” elections for the past ten years.Staging of GCB elections was faced with a major setback with the resignation of Guyana’s first-ever Cricket Ombudsman Dr Winston McGowan.Dr McGowan was appointed in 2005 by the-then Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Dr. Frank Anthony and his appointment was subsequently approved by the-then Cabinet.He was previously charged with overseeing the elections of the various county boards and the GCB, in accordance with the Cricket Administration Act which was successfully passed in the National Assembly by the previous government in May 2014, and assented to by then President Donald Ramotar in August of that year.The GCB has not held elections since 2009 owing to the numerous court injunctions.last_img read more

Oddschecker: Clement backed for the sack as Swans continue to sink

first_img Submit Successful summer leaves Leadstar positive over industry’s recovery August 18, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles Spotlight ups matchday commentary reach and capacity for new EPL Season  August 21, 2020 Share Share Premier League looks to broadcast every behind-closed-door fixture August 28, 2020 With the high pressurised environment of the Premier League, the constant battle for the sack race is an ongoing one and after a defeat at Everton on Monday night, Swansea boss Paul Clement is streaking ahead.Oddschecker has revealed that Clement is currently 6/5 to be the next manager to get the sack, with 73% of all bets on the sack race market backing the ex-Real Madrid assistant to be the next one out the door among all Premier League managers.The Swansea boss is facing severe scrutiny due to a run of horrendous results, and is proving the most popular with punters to be fired first.The Swans are sitting rock bottom of the league and look down, out and facing an enormous uphill battle to remain in the Premier League for the start of next season.Just a few months ago when all looked rosy for the Welsh side, with Clement sitting at a massive 50/1 to be the next manager sacked.However, a string of grim results has seen punters back the Englishman to be the next manager to be relieved of his duties and his chances of being chopped are now just 50%.Elsewhere, despite being the 4/6 favourite for the sack, Welshman Mark Hughes is proving second most popular in the sack race, accumulating 10% of all bets after Stoke’s dismal run of late.Oddschecker spokesman George Elek said: “It all looked so promising for Clement and co just a few months ago, but a serious downturn in form has seen the Swans slide.“We’ve seen a seismic shift in people backing Clement to be fired next, with the Englishman only near rival coming in the shape of Stoke boss Mark Hughes.”last_img read more