Governor announces $3.8 million in transportation enhancement grants

first_imgGovernor Jim Douglas today announced that 30 Vermont communities in 2010 will receive a combined $3.8 million for transportation enhancement projects.Since 1995, the Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) has awarded enhancement grants to communities and non-profit organizations for a wide range of federally-eligible projects such as restoring historic buildings, rebuilding and extending sidewalks, enhancing the environment, improving hiking and biking trails, purchasing scenic easements and repairing historic bridges.  Since the programs inception, more than 330 grant awards have been made to Vermont communities totaling over $45 million.  These grants provide seed money so communities can complete important transportation projects they otherwise might not be able to afford, Governor Douglas said. The projects not only improve our existing transportation system, but they provide a significant contribution to the state s economy.The 2010 process was quite competitive and saw 45 applications with funding requests totaling over $8.7 million. Grant applications were reviewed by VTrans to affirm project eligibility, then were individually considered and awarded by a grant committee.  VTrans staff provides technical and limited project assistance to grant recipients.In keeping with the will of the Vermont Legislature that priority be given to pedestrian and bicycle facilities, over two thirds of the awards and nearly ninety percent of the funding went to pedestrian and bicycle facilities. Most of the remaining awards were given to either environmentally sensitive projects such as a wildlife crossing or the construction of new salt sheds, or other projects such as the reconstruction or repair of historic bridges.The Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) passed by Congress in 1991 created the Transportation Enhancement Program. In 2005, the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy For Users (SAFETEA-LU) reaffirmed Congress commitment to enhancing communities by increasing funding support for enhancement projects through 2010.Specific questions about the Transportation Enhancements Grant Program may be answered by calling 828-0583.Source: Governor’s office. 3.30.2010Enhancement awards for FY10 include the following: 2010 TRANSPORTATION ENHANCEMENT AWARDS County TownSponsorProject TitleAward AmtProject TotalBenningtonBenningtonVillage of North Bennington Sidewalks and streetscape study $15,000$18,750WindhamBrattleboroTown of BrattleboroDowntown Sidewalks$300,000$375,000ChittendenBurlingtonCity of BurlingtonBike Path Realignment $100,000$125,000RutlandCastleton Town of Castleton Sidewalks & Crosswalks$46,000$57,500RutlandCity of RutlandCity of RutlandRutland Creek Path $300,000$375,000OrleansDerbyVillage of Derby LineSidewalks Study$20,000$25,000WindhamDummerstonTown of DummerstonCovered Bridge Wing-walls$200,000$250,000Washington East MontpelierCross Vermont Trail AssociationCross Vermont Trail – US 2 retaining wall$300,000$375,000FranklinEnosburghTown of EnosburghMunicipal Salt Shed$50,000$62,500FranklinFairfaxTown of FairfaxFairfax Village Sidewalks Study$20,000$25,000FranklinFairfieldTown of FairfieldFairfield Sidewalks Study$24,000$30,000FranklinGeorgiaTown of GeorgiaMunicipal Salt Shed$50,000$62,500WindsorHartfordTown of HartfordN. Hartland Road Bike/Ped$275,000$343,750LamoilleJohnsonVillage of JohnsonSchool Street Streetscape$290,000$362,500LamoilleJohnsonTown of JohnsonVillage to LVRT Path Study$14,000$17,500AddisonMiddlebury & WeybridgeTown of Middlebury Pulp Mill Bridge Sidewalk Study$20,000$25,000AddisonMonktonTown of Monkton Monkton Road Wildlife Crossing $150,000$187,500LamoilleMorristownTown of MorristownVT 100 Sidewalk Scoping $16,000$20,000RutlandPoultneyTown of PoultneyE. Poultney Pedestrian Bridge Study$16,000$20,000WindhamPutneyTown of PutneyPutney Village Sidewalks $300,000$375,000WindhamRockinghamTown of RockinghamBridge Street Bridge Rehab$240,000$300,000BenningtonShaftsburyTown of Shaftsbury South Shaftsbury Sidewalk$73,000$91,250ChittendenShelburneTown of ShelburneShelburne Falls Ped Study $24,000$30,000Grand IsleSouth HeroLocal MotionCauseway Bike Ferry$300,000$375,000FranklinSt. AlbansAldis Playground TrustSt. Albans scenic easement $80,000$100,000BenningtonStamfordTown of StamfordMunicipal Salt Shed$50,000$62,500Washington WaterburyTown of WaterburyStowe Street Sidewalk$205,000$256,250RutlandWest RutlandTown of West RutlandMarble Street Sidewalks Study$20,000$25,000ChittendenWinooskiCity of WinooskiSidewalks to School$300,000$375,000LamoilleWolcottTown of WolcottLVRT Trailhead Study$20,000$25,000 ###center_img TOTAL AWARDS:$3,818,000last_img read more

What to do to inherit in Greece

first_img Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram You do not live in Greece and you learn that you are entitled to an inheritance in this country. What are the steps you need to take in order to claim your share? The first thing that must be done is to get legal advice from a lawyer in Greece, so you are informed about your rights and how to exercise them. You will find out whether you inherit the entire estate (100 per cent) or a share of it. Also, you will learn what information and documents from your end are required, so that the part of the inheritance that you are entitled to becomes your property. The lawyer in Greece will ask you questions about the next of kin of the deceased. It is vital under Greek inheritance law to establish who are the close blood relatives, their names (first and last name, as well as their father and mother name, if you know them), and their exact relationship to the deceased. Another important matter is whether the deceased has left a will or not. If there is a will, we must know if it was drawn up in Greece, or in another country. Also, we must find out if the will is trusted with a notary or an attorney, or if it is a so-called holographic will, (a piece of handwritten paper), which is kept by a relative, a friend, or simply found in the house where the deceased lived or elsewhere. If a will exists, normally it will have to be probated. If it was drawn up outside of Greece, it has first to be probated in the country where it was drawn up and then it will also be probated in Greece. If there is no will, the intestate succession takes place and we must work with the next of kin. Depending on whether the deceased had Greek citizenship or not, we will find out who are the heirs who inherit intestate, meaning without a will. The heir must also know where the deceased passed away, so we obtain the death certificate. If he/she does not know, the lawyer will help. A matter of great importance is the number and type of assets of the estate, where they are located and if the heir keeps any deeds about the real estate properties, or other information about bank account numbers, etc. If the heir does not have a lot of information about this, the lawyer will act to search for assets, but the heir must at least give some clues, especially about the specific area or areas of Greece where assets may be located. If we know the place where the properties are located, even if we do not have any deeds or other documents which describe the titles, everything can be found at the local cadastre, as long as we know the name, last name and preferably, the father name of the deceased. It must be noted that all legal and commercial deeds and acts in Greece require not only the name (first and last), but also the parents’ names of the persons involved in the transactions. Sometimes we may have to make a title search not in the name of the deceased, but in the name of his parents, or even uncles, aunts or other relatives, in case title had not officially passed to the deceased and the titles are still in the names of his parents, grandparents or other relatives. In such a case, it will be a double or even triple inheritance succession, for example, from the grandmother to her son (deceased) and then to the spouse and children of the son, who are now the present heirs. Under Greek law, apart from the death certificate, which if not issued in Greece, is officially obtained from the country of issue, translated and registered in Greece, we also have to issue, from a Greek Municipality, the certificate of next of kin. This is issued only in case the deceased had Greek citizenship and we know where in Greece theywas registered. The same applies even if the deceased had Greek as well as another citizenship. To issue the certificate of next of kin, two witnesses are required to sign an affidavit stating the names of the close blood relatives. One of the two witnesses can be one of the heirs. If the deceased was not a Greek citizen, a legal opinion by a lawyer or a jurist from the country of the deceased’s citizenship must be obtained, to advise on the intestate laws of that country, particularly if there is no will. Once type and number of assets, the next of kin and the inheritance shares are established, the lawyer must draft documents to file the estate to the tax office, unless the deceased has died before 1995, in which case the heirs do not pay any inheritance tax at all, irrespective of the value of the estate. Finally, the heirs, in person or through their attorney, sign the deed of acceptance of inheritance at the notary, which subsequently is registered with the local cadastre(s), so the real estate assets become the personal property of the heirs. If the heirs cannot stay in Greece during the weeks or months which are necessary to complete the paperwork, they sign a power of attorney (POA) to empower their lawyer to sign everything as if they were present in Greece. If the estate includes bank accounts, instead of the deed at the notary, the heirs may have to obtain a court ruling, called Klironomitirio, to order the bank to release to them the balance of the account(s). *Christos Iliopoulos is an attorney at the Supreme Court of Greece, L.L.M.,www.greekadvocate.eulast_img read more