Virus was direct cause of death for 89% of Italian COVID-19 victims

first_imgThe new coronavirus has directly caused the death of 9 out of 10 of Italian COVID-19 victims, a study released on Thursday said, shedding new light on the epidemic which mainly struck the country’s northern regions.Since discovering its first infections in February, Italy has reported some 35,000 COVID-19 fatalities.However, health authorities said many of those who died were also affected by other ailments and this provoked a fierce debate on whether the virus was the actual cause of death. The study published by the Superior Health Institute and National Statistics Institute ISTAT showed the coronavirus was the direct cause of death for 89% of the 4,942 victims in the sample.The remaining 11% had coronavirus but died as a direct result of other medical conditions, including heart disease cancer and dementia. However, the virus might have aggravated their condition and accelerated their death.The study was based on deaths reported at the end of May, when Italy had already loosened its rigid lockdown rules.Pneumonia was observed in 79% of the people whose deaths were directly tied to coronavirus and was the most common complication for COVID-19 patients, followed by other respiratory diseases.The report showed COVID-19 was also fatal for some people who did not have any underlying health problem.”In 28.2% of the cases analyzed, there are no other causes of death,” the report said. Topics :last_img read more

Benitez backs Torres to lead Blues

first_img Benitez added: “He has to keep working in the same way and I think that with a pre-season he will have plenty of team to improve himself physically. It’s a question of keeping training the same way that he’s training now and with confidence, he has the potential.” Torres, who last found the net in the Premier League against Aston Villa in December, has cut a forlorn figure at times, ploughing a lone furrow up front. Benitez added: “When you see a striker that is not scoring as many goals as he wants to score, this can happen. Now he’s enjoying himself.” On his arrival, Benitez felt Chelsea could mount a Premier League title challenge, but a congested season – Sunday’s match will be the Blues’ 69th of the campaign – has played its part in ensuring that ambition was never close to being fulfilled. To take on Manchester United, Benitez felt Chelsea needed to sign players in January and augment a squad which is packed with quality, but short of numbers in a transitional period, following the departures of the likes of Didier Drogba. Benitez refused to criticise the board for not weighing into the transfer market, with striker Demba Ba the one major January addition, but he has fulfilled his brief by delivering a Champions League return. “Always [it] can be better,” Benitez said. “We cannot change what happened and we have to think of the future as a positive. The club had an idea. We have been successful in one of the big competitions and we are virtually qualified for the Champions League. So in the end it was fine.” Rafael Benitez is confident striker Fernando Torres can return to being an unstoppable force as the interim boss prepares for his final competitive game at Chelsea. Torres has endured a challenging two-and-a-half year spell at Stamford Bridge since his £50million move from Liverpool in January 2011, but netted six goals in six Europa League appearances this season, including in the final as the Blues beat Benfica in the Amsterdam final on Wednesday. “It’s more than just me,” said Benitez, when asked about Torres’ improvement, before he cited assistant coaches Steve Holland, Boudewijn Zenden and fitness coaches Paco de Miguel and Chris Jones for their efforts. “They have improved him. He has more pace, more confidence and he can score important goals for us.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more