British PM Johnson in intensive care with coronavirus

first_img“The focus of government will continue to be on making sure that the prime minister’s… plans for making sure that we can defeat coronavirus… will be taken forward,” he added.Johnson, who confirmed that he had tested positive for COVID-19 on March 27, was last seen in a Twitter video on Friday, saying he still had a temperature and was staying in self-isolation.He also tweeted from hospital at lunchtime on Monday that he was “in good spirits” and thanked the medical staff looking after him.He and his office have repeatedly maintained that he only had mild symptoms and had been in constant contact with his senior ministers and advisers, chairing meetings by videolink. Prime Minister Boris Johnson was in intensive care on Monday after his coronavirus symptoms worsened, prompting concern for his health and well-wishes from political friends and foes in Britain and abroad, as the country battles to control the outbreak.Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab — Johnson’s de facto deputy — was immediately appointed to take over his duties “where necessary”, Downing Street said.”The government’s business will continue,” Raab pledged, adding that Johnson was “in safe hands” at St Thomas’ Hospital, opposite parliament in central London. Persistent symptoms Trump said he was “hopeful and sure” Johnson would recover, calling the prime minister “a friend of mine” and a “great leader”.Johnson’s pregnant partner, Carrie Symonds, moved out of Downing Street after some staff fell ill. But she said on Saturday she had just spent a week in bed with symptoms, although she has not been tested.Johnson’s spokesman would not confirm a report in The Times newspaper reported that the prime minister had been given oxygen treatment. “Doctors will be monitoring important vital signs such as oxygen saturations,” said Rupert Beale, group leader at the cell biology of infection laboratory at the Francis Crick Institute.He said they would also check Johnson’s blood to “see what the immune response to the virus looks like, and to assess liver and kidney function”, and may also perform an electrocardiogram to check the heart. But his admission to hospital on Sunday, less than an hour after Queen Elizabeth II called for a united front to defeat the virus, prompted concern his condition was more serious.That was confirmed 24 hours later when Downing Street said his condition had “worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital”.The government said he was moved as a precaution, in case he needed to use a ventilator. Topics : Working non-stop Housing minister Robert Jenrick told BBC television that Johnson had been working “phenomenally hard” during the crisis, adding that he would be finding it “very frustrating” to be ill.Johnson is not known to have any underlying health issues, although he has struggled with his weight, but some questioned if he should have taken more time off.Junior health minister Nadine Dorries, who also had coronavirus but has recovered, added: “Many with #COVID19 are felled by fatigue/temperature and use isolation to sleep and recover. “Boris has risked his health and worked every day on our behalf to lead the battle against this vile virus.”James Gill, clinical lecturer at Warwick University medical school, said Johnson’s condition “must underscore for everyone, across the world, how indiscriminate this virus is, ignoring class, character, wealth and position”. Unprecedented Johnson is the most high-profile world leader with the disease that has spread rapidly across the globe, and his transfer to intensive care is unprecedented during a national emergency.US President Donald Trump led world leaders in wishing Johnson a successful recovery. Other messages flooded in from the European Union and NATO to the World Health Organization.Earlier on Monday, questions were raised about whether the Conservative leader could still run the country, and Raab said he had not spoken to Johnson in person since Saturday.The British government was criticized for initially refusing to follow other European countries in requiring people to stay home as the virus spread.Johnson himself said in early March that he was still shaking hands with people.But two weeks ago he ordered a nationwide lockdown and Britain is now in the grip of a serious outbreak. Over 50,000 cases and more than 5,000 deaths have been recorded so far, with a latest daily toll of 439.Health Secretary Matt Hancock and the heir to the throne, Prince Charles, have both been infected with coronavirus, although they have since recovered.The queen, 93, made a rare public address on Sunday night, evoking the spirit of World War II and urging Britons to stay united, just before Johnson went into hospital.”We will be with our friends again, we will be with our families again, we will meet again,” she said in a rare televised address watched by 23 million people.Buckingham Palace said she was being kept informed of developments.last_img read more

Rody OKs limited face-to-face classes in low-risk MGCQ areas

first_imgThe DepEd official further said that limited face-to-face classes will close the equity issues on students’ access to gadgets that may be needed in distance learning. “Allowing face-to-face classes will once again enhance the movement of people that might result in infections within our schools. We have seen [a] sudden spike of COVID-19 cases in provinces that never had cases from the beginning because of [locally stranded individuals] who were allowed to go home,” Gatchalian said./PN “We don’t want a scenario where physical classes will be opened but will eventually be suspended again because of infections in their respective areas,” Gatchalian reiterated. Stringent health standards, according to Briones will be imposed and the classrooms to be used must be conducive for social distancing. President Rodrigo Duterte talks to the people after holding a meeting with the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Emerging Infectious Diseases core members at the Malago Clubhouse in Malacañang on July 21. PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO “Ang parents na ayaw talaga ng face-to-face, may choice silang mag-online, TV, radyo, o manual,” Briones said. “Nandyan ang telebisyon. Modular system din ay gagamitin pa rin, mga reading materials ide-deliver sa mga bahay ng mga bata.” Local government units must also be ready to support the scho ols that will hold face-to-face classes through the Special Education Fund, while it should also be ensured that the school facilities are also safe from other disasters. “I’m with you on this,” Duterte told DepEd secretary Leonor Briones after the latter presented in details the recommendation during a meeting held Monday evening but aired on Tuesday morning. Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian, chairman of the Senate Committee on Basic Education, Arts, and Culture,  for his part, opposed DepEd’s plan, saying the government cannot compromise the safety of the children as they are the country’s “greatest wealth.” During her presentation, Briones told President Duterte that physical classes in selected parts of the country could be held once or twice a week only in the light of present conditions. “Ito ay limited lamang, hindi lahat ng learners ay dadaan sa prosesong ito,” Briones said. “Hindi ito pinipilit sa lahat ng mga eskwelahan. Para lang ito sa mga lugar na napakababa ng health risks.” MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the proposal of the Department of Education (DepEd) to conduct limited face-to-face classes in “low-risk” modified general community quarantine areas by January, 2021. DepEd and National Task Force Against COVID-19 personnel will conduct inspections.last_img read more

Miami commissioner to postpone Ultra Music Festival due to coronavirus

first_imgCity of Miami commissioner Joe Carollo, and Mayor Francis Suarez spoke at a meeting at Miami City Hall in Coconut Grove Wednesday morning asking for the Ultra Music Festival to be postponed to protect attendees from the coronavirus.The huge music festival that brings a ton of money to the city each year will likely be postponed until 2021.“We’re going to be discussing with them the possibility of postponing the event, similar to what they’ve done in other parts of the world,” Suarez said. “As was mentioned, this event is very unique because you have people traveling from over 100 countries. Our decisions in the city are always going to be guided by protecting the citizens of this city.”It is unclear if ticket buyers will get a full refund. City officials say an official announcement is expected Friday.last_img read more

Bryce Holmgren’s struggles continue as her SU career nears an end

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Right from the opening inning, Bryce Holmgren was on the move.She spent most of the first few innings running all around right field as Florida State hit multiple balls down the line.Holmgren made a play in the second inning over in foul territory, racing to the corner to snag the ball and record the first out. Later, she tracked back to the wall to chase down a hit over her head, only for the ball to roll by her after it took an awkward bounce off the wall. Holmgren sprinted forward to try to limit the damage and threw the ball into the infield.Holmgren’s third and final season at Syracuse hasn’t been her best, but she hasn’t changed her approach. On Saturday, Syracuse (21-30, 8-15 Atlantic Coast) gave up seven runs in the fifth inning to lose to No. 5 Florida State (47-8, 18-5) 9-1 in five innings. Holmgren, the Orange’s best hitter entering this season, didn’t record a hit, and her batting average is the lowest of her three seasons for SU. The Orange were blown out again on Saturday, and SU’s offense has been non-existent.“Bryce is a great hitter, this game is this game, and it’s hard sometimes,” Syracuse head coach Shannon Doepking said. “Unfortunately, it’s her senior season, and I would have loved to see her go out on a high note, but Bryce’s value is in more than the statistics…We’ve thrown so much at her, and she’s taken it and ran with it.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHolmgren was voted team captain to begin the season, and she’s been a mainstay for the Orange her entire career. As the Syracuse lineup has had multiple players in and out, missing games due to injury, Holmgren is one of just three SU players to play in every single game. Her senior season hasn’t lived up to the expectations she set in her junior year, though. As a junior, Holmgren hit .413 with a 1.049 OPS, both team-highs. She hit in the middle of the SU lineup the entire season, starting all 50 games.In 2019, Holmgren’s spot in the middle of the order hasn’t been secure. Her numbers are down, as she’s hitting .252 with a .733 OPS. She hasn’t been as successful, but Doepking said she’s still having good at-bats, and Holmgren tries to ignore box scores.“Stats are really a mind game,” Holmgren said. “And especially in a sport that’s so resounding with failure. Each at-bat is very specific, very individual.”On Friday, Holmgren hit two hard ground balls off of FSU ace Meghan King, one ground out and one single. She had more experience facing King than the rest of the SU lineup, and knew she had to be aggressive. Holmgren swung at the first pitch both times, making solid contact. Her single broke up King’s no-hitter.“I thought she had competitive at-bats yesterday,” Doepking said on Saturday. “She’s one of one on this team who did, if we’re being honest.”And on Saturday, Doepking moved her up to the three slot in the lineup to reward her aggressive approach. Doepking said Holmgren was the only hitter who competed against King, one of the top pitchers in the nation. But Holmgren failed to register a hit on Saturday, rolling over on two pitches and grounding out in both of her at-bats.After the third inning, Alicia Hansen ran out to her position in center field, and noticed that Lailoni Mayfield and Holmgren switched on either side of her. Mayfield covers more ground in the outfield. Not only was her position in the lineup changed, but her position in the field was, too.Doepking originally moved Holmgren down in the lineup in an attempt to help her see better pitches. The middle of the lineup hitters typically see fewer quality pitches to hit, Doepking said, resulting in fewer chances to break out of the slump.“I haven’t actually been too worried about it,” Holmgren said. “It’s the ability to simplify the game and realize your position in the lineup is only for the first inning.”When Holmgren decided to transfer to Syracuse after her freshman year at Western Kentucky, she understood that her parents wouldn’t be able to make every game. But her parents have driven from Iowa to Skytop Stadium for every weekend home game, her father Kyle said.After Saturday’s game, Kyle kissed his daughter on the side of her forehead, and Holmgren smiled as she walked away from the dugout toward the rest of her family. As Holmgren strolled toward the parking lot with her mom, dad, uncle, aunt and grandmother, she turned around repeatedly, smiling ear-to-ear at her family, especially her two parents, that had traveled 15 hours each weekend for three years to be at every home game.The Holmgren family will be at Skytop Stadium one final time Sunday, and Kyle will be in Tallahassee, Florida for the ACC tournament on Wednesday. He’ll board a plane back to Iowa just a few hours after their opening round game.Kyle said: “I just realized that the window is really, really small.”The window is closing, but it’s not closed yet. Comments Published on May 4, 2019 at 6:38 pm Contact Anthony: [email protected]last_img read more